The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Products

Sheet Metal Products
Discuss sheet metal products here. What products makes your job easier. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 07-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Professional Member

Hamlet are the tongs of choice out west.
Those can be found on their website.
H&H toolco.
And no, this is not an advertisement. I just tried Steadman, and couldn't find them. Ok, I found it on the Waldron site. No images of what they look like, but they're definitely less expensive than hamlet tongs.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 PM

has anyone ever found a link to these Steadman tongs? I'd like to see what they're all about....
Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 AM

My local supplier said Stedman retired.Another company started making a similar tong ,it has the same shop but the jaw depth is 1 1/4 (much to my boss's surprise )and fractional graduations (for depth) molded into the casting.
For those who haven't seen one the tongs have a curved handle,instead of the straight like the Malco,and a little weight to them .They can be used to bend,hammer and pry.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:22 PM

purchased two pair of steadman's tongs,one strait and one offset,best hand tongs i ever used,this was in 1984.it must have been a small outfit becuse the invoice i recieved was hand written,he also stated he would be retireing soon.I paid 14.00 dollars each plus shipping for the tongs.the address then was, Steadman tools Inc. p.o. box592 Erie Pennsylvania 16512
hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:09 PM

I love my Hamlets...
Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Mine is a Miller.
I googled the steadman's tongs, but couldn't find a link related to it. I also want to know more info about it.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Professional Member

Default Bought the last batch of Fairmonts

Lucky one day in the 90's I think I called the closing Fairmont plant in Cadiz Ohio and was told there were only a a few dozen left. They sold the molds to someone else. Later I think Klenk took over the tool.
I bought a dozen box and still have a few. Some I gave as Christmas presents. I don't see any difference between the old model and the new except for the hinge pin.
Anyway I am thinking that Steadman was a middle player at the time of the Fairmont change, possibly having a short time somehow with the tong business. All I know is that I still have my original pair from back in 1979 that I bought and the galvanic coat is worn off the handles but they are perfect still. I have beat concrete blocks out of walls with them and smashed many hems on 18 and 16 ga. with a hammer! Really. Still fits in my back pocket and never sprung em.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 PM

Default tongs

I really like the midwest brand offset tongs just as much as the fairmonts for the price especially. I payed about 25 bucks for my midwest while the fairmont style usually run about 60, and thats if you can find them. However I do like how the fairmonts bend exactly one inch, while the midwests grab about an 1.125".
Old 04-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Professional Member

Fairmonts are forged and you can run a car over them and they will still be fine. Can't do that with a Malco.

Faimonts bend an inch and an eight. Actually outside bend gives I think 3/16" with the radius.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 PM

Hi,
I am originally from Erie, Pa and I did some research on Steadman tongs. One possibility that I found locally is here: http://www.manta.com/c/mtgd66c/c-ste...ol-company-inc. This is about 20 mi away from Erie and a few short miles from where I currently live. The seacrh site says the company deals with hand and edge tool manufacturing and it was started in 1995 but there may be some connection to the older company. The Spartansburg area has alot of small Amish buisnesses and this may explain why the original co. used an Erie PO box to ship from (the Amish around here sometimes do this) and had a hand written invoice. It may be a long shot but you could give a call to the listed number and see if there is any connection.

PS there is also another Steadman Tool co a few miles from here but it is a tool and die shop and it too was established in the 1990's.

MILO