The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Duct Construction and Uses

Duct Construction and Uses
Discussion in fabricating and use of products that move air including spiral pipe, duct board and typical sheet metal work.

Share This Forum!  


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 09:56 AM
bueryion bueryion is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 18
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default Pittsburgh Lock tool?

I have seen guys at sheet metal shops I've worked in use an old metal punch to fit/bang the male and female ends together on sheet metal Pittsburgh seams. It works really well and i would like to get a new one. I believe its called an "Groove Seam Punch", but i'm not sure.
I knew that it was first made to seal together a flat seam that was used to join round pipe flanges together before snap lock became common use. it has a 3"-4" handle shaft with a grove formed at one end, doesn't exactly fit on the seam but does the job. It looks to be made from forged steel.

However these guys have to be getting them from somewhere, and i cant find them. So if anyone has first hand information on the company that makes them and the distributor i can buy one through I would love to hear from you.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:01 PM
wmckane wmckane is offline
Professional Member
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oxford, PA
Posts: 129
Thanks: 4
Thanked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Default Pittsburgh lock tool

I just spent a very long time checking every source I could think of and found nothing, including Ebay and Craigslist.

What I use is a piece of 1/2" black steel bar about 4" long. Use it flat and slide down the seam or turn it on end for tight spots.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:47 PM
Augiemax Augiemax is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default rivet set

you talking about a rivet set . That's what is used to knck down the male edge, check out ebay ,yesterday I saw a set for $49.oo
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Dan Piazza Dan Piazza is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 14
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default Hand Grooving Tool

It's a grooving tool. Roper Whitney has them.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:08 PM
Augiemax Augiemax is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think There using that because you can't buy new rivetsets. Grooving tool looks bulky to me . 32 years I've been using the set, it's awesome for driving down the 1/4 edge.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:40 PM
tinstructor tinstructor is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: midwest
Posts: 65
Thanks: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default rivet set substitute

For years I've used a 4 inch long cut off piece from a 1/2" thick steel flat bar. 3/8" thick flatbar will also work,as will aluminum. 3/4" to 1" wide works well. no need to buy rivet sets.

> round off the edges just a little with a grinder so as not to ding up the duct and you're in business.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.