The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Metal Roofs

Metal Roofs
Discussion forum and information on Metal Roofs.

Share This Forum!  

Old 07-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Professional Member

Sheet metal roofs are not as pretty as some of the tiles, but it sure beats the pants off any of the petrol-chemical solutions. Cost-wise the sheet metal roof is pretty efficient when you factor in the same number of times you'd do it in asphalt shingles. If you have good backing underneath and a proper air gap between the roof panels/clips then you shouldn't be any more noisy that any other roof. Its that distinctive 'ping' people hear and just assume its louder. Different, but not louder.

I'd like to see more on the 'green' roofing solutions and see more information why they almost always tend to be metal roofs. I'd think spanish tile would be more efficient even though its real maintenance intensive. The literature out there in the trade mags doesn't go into much detail as to why the most 'green' roofs are the metal roofs.

Bud,

Maybe if you have the time sometime you could consolidate some of the old posts about metal roofing over to this forum?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:23 PM
ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM

Bud,

Maybe if you have the time sometime you could consolidate some of the old posts about metal roofing over to this forum?
Let me see what I can do
Old 07-17-2009, 08:22 PM

Hello to all!
My name is Stan an I am in the post frame and metal building business. I will take a metal roof over shingles any day.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:49 AM
ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by versitek
Hello to all!
My name is Stan an I am in the post frame and metal building business. I will take a metal roof over shingles any day.
Hi Stan and welcome to the site, thanks for joining us.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:42 PM

I am glad to be here. I have learned that I can always learn more!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Professional Member

Don't know about other areas but here the yellow jackets love to build nests in a Spanish tile roof. They look pretty but are problematic.

Know someone from Germany, all the roofs there are some type of tile that lasts close to a hundred years and are made of a masonry material.

This is a sheet metal forum but hey.

Good job Bud on bringing the old posts into a new format, you are a web god!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Professional Member

Hello All, If you are talking about Spanish Clay tile, the tile is mostly for aesthetics and it protects the real roof that is beneath the tile. They are expensive. If you want a nice metal roof, you can't beat copper if installed properly. The coated and painted metal roofs are nice too but copper will outlast them all. Slate is another real nice roof if he installation is done by a pro. They will out last any of us. The only drawback is it is bad to walk on slate. Copper and slate will outlast the others I believe, so they are actually cost effective.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:47 PM

[quote="Bounder"]The last sheet metal roof I fabricated was expected to last 150 to 200 years depending upon acid rain. The material is lead coated copper, looks like galvanized in color but fabricates like copper for the most part. It is installed on the rear section of the Indian King Tavern in Haddonfield NJ. The Tavern goes back before the Revolution and at one time was where the legislators for the colonies of NJ met when Trenton was overrun . It was also occupied by Hessian Troops for a while at least once maybe twice.

The road in front is Kings Highway, the name goes back 300 years + .

You lucky bastard. I would LOVE to work on a historical building such as that. Here in L.A., we tear down our history and build strip malls. Just make sure you wear gloves when handling that lead coated copper.
Lucky dog.....
Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 PM

I have worked for a sheet metal shop that sells metal roofing for over 13 years. The shop I work for is the largest distributor of metal roofing in northern ca. we sell hundreds of thousands of square feet a year and make in our shop 300,000-400,000 lineal feet of trim to go with those roofs.
Metal roofing is like tools, you get what you pay for, if you go with the cheapest, (we wont even consider your great grand daddy's corrigated junk) 3' wide standard screw down panels, they work well , however if they are installed over a wood substrated the wood and the metal expand and contract at different rates. That difference of rates makes the panels work the screws loose, and then once loose it warbles the holes out. If the panel lengths are over 20' it is a real possiblity that the thermal expansion could shear off some of the screws.
The next panel up from that is residental hidden fastner. They can be installed to allow for expansion and contraction since nearly every manufacturer has slotted holes that you attach the panels with. Very nice panels and could easily last 50 to 60 years, probabley longer then that.
The next would be comercial standing seam panels, they are all attached using clips to allow for maximum panel expansion, they come in many diffrent configurations. They also have the best paint available (hylar and kynar paint), the paint is warrented for 30 years just for fading, plus it would take another 40 years for that paint to wear off, then they are all coated with zincalume, or galvalume, so that would last 60 years by its self.
The copper and turn coat stainless roofs are all nice, but realistically a good installed painted steel roof can last a very long time.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Professional Member

the best roof money can buy is a zinc roof..pure zinc..
look it up guys..i only worked with it once making a roof..the customer did his homework i tell you..zinc will last longer than copper ,only surpased by lead..well who wants a lead roof anyway..
zinc is the shit!
pardon my language Bud!