The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Products

Sheet Metal Products
Discuss sheet metal products here. What products makes your job easier. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 11-18-2010, 07:42 PM

I don't know about blue but the graphite grey are easy to find. Ask whoever is working in the office where they get their supplies from and if they have a catalog, those fellas usually have a huge book of semi-useful stuff and there might be an assortment of colored ink pencils.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ganf For This Useful Post:
cactassdupree (11-19-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Professional Member

Angry

Ughh how about that Christmas tree shaped scratcher widgit! I hate that thing! Had a guy lay out gutter end caps and I'm watching him use it...I go over after he goes home to bend them, thinking cool they are marked and cut I'm ahead of the game...RIGHT!!!off by 3/8" all around. Next morning I took it out and said if I ever saw him use it again except for the most mindless of layouts I'd stick it in the shear and cut it to pieces!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Professional Member

MALCO A60 is what use most of the time.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Professional Member

Wink 3/8th

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothalion View Post
Ughh how about that Christmas tree shaped scratcher widgit! I hate that thing! Had a guy lay out gutter end caps and I'm watching him use it...I go over after he goes home to bend them, thinking cool they are marked and cut I'm ahead of the game...RIGHT!!!off by 3/8" all around. Next morning I took it out and said if I ever saw him use it again except for the most mindless of layouts I'd stick it in the shear and cut it to pieces!
Shoot I can eyeball closer than 3/8th of an inch. Those scribers are good for some things (mostly duct) and just like everything else not good for others. If i can figure out how to scan and post pics I'll send one along one of these days. Don't hold your breath (Lion) the older I get the lazyier I get and it's hard to learn some of this computer stuff. My old PC got corrupted and I followed the instruction on restoring it. Had a choice to keep my files and pics on my "C" drive in a bundle. took 4 hrs. Well it all seem to work but when I tried to open my "bundle" it was empty. I kept the tower incase I want to pay say Genius Geek to try and dig them out. Had alot of work and family pics I wish i had. Mery Christmas dupree
Old 12-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Professional Member

This comes down to understanding your trade and the tools available to you and how and when to use them. More so even how to do an end run around their basic functions and make them work for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to rothalion For This Useful Post:
Rob (12-26-2010)
Old 12-26-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothalion View Post
This comes down to understanding your trade and the tools available to you and how and when to use them. More so even how to do an end run around their basic functions and make them work for you.
Now this is a sign of a true tradesperson.
I've done a lot of end runs.
I'll print this quote and post it in my shop.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Now this is a sign of a true tradesperson.
I've done a lot of end runs.
I'll print this quote and post it in my shop.
Wow thanks!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 AM

Wink

I like the end run quote. I read in a novel once where the workers had to defend their home and they used their hammers and axes as well as the slings they used for tossing rivets and tools over distances. They called it something like "looking to the left side of your tools" or such.

I made my (xmas tree) edge scribe from a scrap of SS about 8" x 2 1/2" with 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, etc. up to 1 and then 1 1/5 and 2. These are the increments i use most. I engraved the numbers on each side, my name, and a message to all who like to steal tools on it (someone stole the last one I made). Drill a hole in your piece where the two snips meet to prevent the twist and hem the top and back edges for strength (so it's really half a xmas tree) and it'll do you just fine. The only thing better than having a custom preset edge scribe that fits in my pouch and weighs about 2 ounces is the incredible price of just $0.00 plus handling.
The Following User Says Thank You to DMNyankee For This Useful Post:
rothalion (01-13-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Professional Member

I use a set of simple dividers if I want to run multiple parts. Light and sharp, quick to adjust...The xmas tree widgets just never worked for me.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:09 AM

I've never liked the Xmas trees either. I have numerous pairs of single, double, and a triple scribe that I use. They are very hard to find, so I tend to buy them when they appear....thus have way more than I need......