The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Products

Sheet Metal Products
Discuss sheet metal products here. What products makes your job easier. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 11-13-2006, 10:41 PM

Default scribes found

I've been searching for the same as well. here in Canada their expensive if you can find them. So i've been buying online.

Harry J. Epstein Co
http://www.harryepstein.com/sheetmetaltools.htm
Single barrel scribe $9.45...

I found this next site to be excellent for their wing dividers. I bought the 6" & 12"...brought them to the shop ...now everyone has them.( should get some commission )
Hartville Tool
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11532

..I've seen a double barrel scribe on the web somewhere can't find it now...but it was $53.00!!!
Attached Thumbnails
mg_1__936.jpg  
Old 11-16-2006, 12:56 AM

I use a stanley, double post, can't recall the model number, only problem I have is a plasma edge really chews them up.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:44 PM

My old boss had one of those old staneleys, always wanted to get one.

But alas I've had to make do witha $5.00 malco christmas tree, (lost my free Duro dyne one) and a combination square with a scratch awl.

Till Then...

Al.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:28 PM

Try ebay I've seen them on there before.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:56 PM

looked at the model number on the stanley
47-091
I believe it is also refered to as a number 91
The Following User Says Thank You to tinman9765 For This Useful Post:
tinnerjohn (11-16-2016)
Old 05-30-2007, 04:15 PM

excuse me for passing a comment, reading with interest the articles regarding scratch gauges, several members here are all singing the praises of various manufacturers of such items, am I being non sensitive but I thought all Sheetmetals workers would manufacture their own, stainless steel christmas trees are ok but as already commented they at times are mistaken for scrap off cuts by non skilled staff, the other just a piece of 2inch x 2 inch x 3/8 inch flat bar drilled say 13/64 inch dia off centre with another hole drilled adjacent to be tapped say 1/4inch then tapped for a suitable set screw then a piece of 3/8 inch dia rod drilled one end to accomodate a scribing point an old drill ground to a point this can be retained with a small set screw, or alternatively use a PK screw, self tapping screw which is manufactured from tool steel very hard and already with a durable scribing point, the only draw back with this gauge is that if scratching sheetmetal that has been cut with a plasma torch in time you will wear a furrow in the 2inch x 2 inch x 3/8 flat bar thereby losing accuracy, if flat bar not available then a scratch gauge can be made using 18g stainless steel using 2 off strips say 8 inches long x 3/4 inch folding to make 2 angles 8 inches long 3/8 x 3/8 then a pice of S.S about 3 inches square with 3/8 folded square on one side on this side drill a hole to accomodate a nut and bolt, now a little welding either tig or spot just weld 2 pieces of S.S sheet at either end of the 2 angles now you have a length of channel 8 inches long with a slot down the length stopping at the 2 S.S pieces, whilst you have the welder set up tack weld the nut to the inside of the 3 inch sq S.S now it is a simple matter of finding a large enough washer to keep the channel secured or free running against the 3 inch sq.plate using the screw to retain and lock, and very quickly a scriber if you have a friendly dentist ask him for an old dental cleaning probe, you know the piece of metal they use when either cleaning or filling your teeth you will discover that when sharpened to a point they will give very good service as a scriber, but dont get a round one circular they have a terrible habbit of rolling off the work bench and with my luck always fall into the scrap bin, I hope this little information is of some use to somebody
Old 06-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Professional Member

We have one of the christmas tree ones, why doesn't it have a spot for 3/4"? I never use the tool but one of the guys asked me to find the 3/4 mark and I don't see one. Its a bit odd.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Adjustable slide scribe

You guys should check out the Wimsco adjustable slide scribe. Its the best thing since sliced sheet metal. Adjustable from 1/4" to 5". Its quick and easy, and I would be totally lost without it. I don't have a picture of it right now, but I will post one eventually. Usually costs about 12 dollars. Its just faster than anything else and deadly accurate.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:44 PM

I have a xmas tree type that I made from a piece of scrap stainless that ranges from 1/4 to 1 1/2 in 1/8 increments. It fits nicely in my pouch while I'm up on the roof and it's about 3 yrs. old and free. just drill a hole in the piece where the cuts meet to prevent tweaking, hem the top edge, and go. When this one wears out, I'll make another one and it won't cost me anything but 10 minutes.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Here is one double gauge I've found online...http://www.benoitsheetmetal.com/what...ail.asp?id=523
The company is out of Washington and their prices are higher than most others when selling compairable products, or atleast they used to be when I lived up there.