The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Kinks

Kinks Share your tips and techniques here. The old timers used to refer this as KINKs. Thanks for sharing.

Share This Forum!  

Old 11-13-2004, 07:54 AM
Professional Member

Default Simple Division for Finding Equal Parts

This is a technique I used daily when I was working on the bench especially when laying out square to rounds. Most of the time, I would break the circumference of the round up into 16 equal parts on the top view of my layout. I would then proceed to developing the pattern for the fitting by using the information gathered from the top view. I would establish a triangle and using the information I would find the true lengths of the lines needed to develop the pattern. I then would establish the collar for the top of the fitting by multiplying the diameter by 3.14. Once the blank for the collar was made it was time to establish the length of one of those sixteen equal parts so we could proceed with the pattern development.

I know that one could use a calculator to find the length of the segment for the layout but I rarely did, in fact most of the time I never even knew the actual length of it. What I would do to achieve the mysterious dimension is simple. I would take my tinner’s rule and place the zero end of the ruler on the bottom left end of the collar blank. Measuring down the stretch out of the collar, I would push the ruler upward across the blank then making the ruler lay diagonally across the collar. Where the end of the ruler intersected with the end of the blank, I would set the ruler on a number that was simple to divide. Then the division process would begin. After finding the center the collar was found, I would layout the remainder of the collar into the required segments using the same technique. The “Finding Centers Fast” technique can also be used in relation to this if needed.

I know this may seem to be a lengthy process but with practice you can become very efficient. I also know there are easier ways to find the length of the segment but this process can be very useful in many situations, not only for square to rounds. Put this in your mental tool box, you may need it some day.

Hope all this makes sense.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Professional Member

Default equal divisions

Pricer.. attached is a drawing I hope might help with your instructions
for dividing an odd size problem into equal pieces...

itinerant tinker a.k.a. bordontn
Attached Thumbnails
division_109.jpg  
Old 11-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Professional Member

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Professional Member

Yes, that's a beauty of a trick. I use that technique often. I used to tell the guys that one way to avoid math mistakes, was to eleminate the oportunity to make mistakes in calculation. This is one of the ways you can do that when dividing something up.
The other day I was cutting some repetive pieces on my stomp shear. Pieces much like step counter flashing that has an angle on the bottom side only. I cut a couple when it dawned upon me that I had a easier way. I got a strong bar magnet about six inches long, put it on the table of my stomp at the correct angle, viola! a fence to shove the pieces against then cut. Worked like a charm!

Steve
Old 11-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2
Yes, that's a beauty of a trick. I use that technique often. I used to tell the guys that one way to avoid math mistakes, was to eleminate the oportunity to make mistakes in calculation. This is one of the ways you can do that when dividing something up.
The other day I was cutting some repetive pieces on my stomp shear. Pieces much like step counter flashing that has an angle on the bottom side only. I cut a couple when it dawned upon me that I had a easier way. I got a strong bar magnet about six inches long, put it on the table of my stomp at the correct angle, viola! a fence to shove the pieces against then cut. Worked like a charm!

Steve
That is a good idea. I have an attachment that will do that for my 52" shear that uses a T-bolt to hold it in place. The magnet seems like a better alternative, fast and easy for small runs. I do many small runs, some times feel like a short order cook! lol
Old 11-20-2004, 11:19 PM
Professional Member

Well get that soldering pot heated up so's to turn the shear table into a griddle and throw on some burgers! What are you watin' for?
Old 11-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2
Well get that soldering pot heated up so's to turn the shear table into a griddle and throw on some burgers! What are you watin' for?
Hey, plasma tables are for cookin' in the south!
Old 11-20-2004, 11:32 PM
Professional Member

I just knew there was something I liked about southern cooking!
Old 11-21-2004, 06:31 AM

One piece of small scrape on top of plasma cutter to support barbque grill. Place one 12 inch flue elb next to grill for proper down draft. Turn on exhuast blower. Start coals. Apply suasage. Job well done. Our plasma cutter allowes us to babque year round. You got to get something for a $100 grand. Bob
Old 04-02-2008, 12:59 AM

Aint this just heaven!!!
I'm into cast iron camp style dutch oven cooking, using briquettes as a heat source.
How does prime rib sound boys?... :P