The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > A Tinners Porch

A Tinners Porch
Who knows what will come up in porch conversations.

Share This Forum!  

Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Angry Love to hear stories about "that guy"

I currently have a new project manager at the roofing company I work for. He's obviously a guy with years of experience selling roofing products and such but he likes to talk shop with me and even tries to contradict me with BS that was handed down from someone else who doesn't know @#$%. Most GC's complain to me that he's full of it and feel the same way I do about him.
Here's 2 examples.
Background--After a few flatseam copper roofs failed miserably because they were soldered with those little propane torches by former employees, the word came down from the head of the sheet metal department that all flatseam was to be done with propane firepots and 8 lb irons only. Shortly afterward, a historical building was burned down by another company using the little propane torches on walk-in gutters. Thus followed the new edict that nobody would use torches on anything anymore so we would not be the next company to burn down a building.
This all suited me fine because I solder everything with my hado acetylene torch and iron and always have for over 20 years. The problem was that nobody here had ever heard of one and they said that acetylene doesn't get hot enough. (BS-FYI acetylene burns 756 deg. Fahrenheit hotter than propane)
#1-I was repairing miters on some old copper gutters and the PM decided to try and relate to me with his own "experience" of how hard it is to solder 5" ogee with an 8 lb. iron. If you've never tried it, you're not alone. NOBODY uses 8 lb. irons to solder gutters. A: it's way too big and heavy to maneuver. B: the moment you put iron and solder to the joint, the copper gutter will turn blue and the solder will pour out of the bottom of the joint.
#2-I got a call at home one night.
PM- I have a question for you. I know you can weld it, but is it possible to solder stainless steel?
Me- Yeah. You have to have the right acid and not run the iron too hot, though. It'll buckle.
PM- You use a muratic base, right?
Me- No. It's stainless steel flux.
PM- But it's muratic base, right?
Me- No. It's a flux made for soldering stainless. It's M-A stainless steel soldering flux.
Pm- But it's muratic base, right?
Me- I have a bottle here at home. I'll bring it in.
Next morning----------
Me- Here's the stuff I was talking about.
PM- Oh yeah, yeah. THAT stuff. That stuff works great.

Are you @#$%ing me?This from a guy who didn't even know you could solder stainless as of yesterday

I don't care if someone doesn't know something. There are books filled with crap I don't know. But don't try to pretend you do and talk shop with someone. You just come off as an @#$%^&*.
What kind of "that guy" stories do you have? I know he's not the only one out there.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Professional Member

Exclamation What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMNyankee View Post
I currently have a new project manager at the roofing company I work for. He's obviously a guy with years of experience selling roofing products and such but he likes to talk shop with me and even tries to contradict me with BS that was handed down from someone else who doesn't know @#$%. Most GC's complain to me that he's full of it and feel the same way I do about him.
Here's 2 examples.
Background--After a few flatseam copper roofs failed miserably because they were soldered with those little propane torches by former employees, the word came down from the head of the sheet metal department that all flatseam was to be done with propane firepots and 8 lb irons only. Shortly afterward, a historical building was burned down by another company using the little propane torches on walk-in gutters. Thus followed the new edict that nobody would use torches on anything anymore so we would not be the next company to burn down a building.
This all suited me fine because I solder everything with my hado acetylene torch and iron and always have for over 20 years. The problem was that nobody here had ever heard of one and they said that acetylene doesn't get hot enough. (BS-FYI acetylene burns 756 deg. Fahrenheit hotter than propane)
#1-I was repairing miters on some old copper gutters and the PM decided to try and relate to me with his own "experience" of how hard it is to solder 5" ogee with an 8 lb. iron. If you've never tried it, you're not alone. NOBODY uses 8 lb. irons to solder gutters. A: it's way too big and heavy to maneuver. B: the moment you put iron and solder to the joint, the copper gutter will turn blue and the solder will pour out of the bottom of the joint.
#2-I got a call at home one night.
PM- I have a question for you. I know you can weld it, but is it possible to solder stainless steel?
Me- Yeah. You have to have the right acid and not run the iron too hot, though. It'll buckle.
PM- You use a muratic base, right?
Me- No. It's stainless steel flux.
PM- But it's muratic base, right?
Me- No. It's a flux made for soldering stainless. It's M-A stainless steel soldering flux.
Pm- But it's muratic base, right?
Me- I have a bottle here at home. I'll bring it in.
Next morning----------
Me- Here's the stuff I was talking about.
PM- Oh yeah, yeah. THAT stuff. That stuff works great.

Are you @#$%ing me?This from a guy who didn't even know you could solder stainless as of yesterday

I don't care if someone doesn't know something. There are books filled with crap I don't know. But don't try to pretend you do and talk shop with someone. You just come off as an @#$%^&*.
What kind of "that guy" stories do you have? I know he's not the only one out there.
Come on Yankee tell us how U really feel dupree
Old 11-24-2010, 08:57 PM

You've never heard the term "Don't be THAT guy"? They're the ones that pick up on tidbits of information from assorted sources and piece them together in whatever way seems to make sense to them. They then proceed to share their "wisdom" with others in an attempt to look good. Think Cliff Claven from Cheers without the humor because it's really not funny when you have to work with the guy. Have you been lucky enough to avoid "that guy"? I've had at least one at every place I've ever worked.
Thus the back story where he put together "no torches" and "8 lb. irons" to make it as though everyone who's worth his salt has always soldered everything with 8 lb. coppers (like he did).
My current workload is not very challenging, so my only "kink" these days is the people I do it with. Once I get the scratch up for the spool gun and argon for my home shop, I'll share some kinks with welding aluminum that are sure to come.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Professional Member

Wink Yep!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMNyankee View Post
You've never heard the term "Don't be THAT guy"? They're the ones that pick up on tidbits of information from assorted sources and piece them together in whatever way seems to make sense to them. They then proceed to share their "wisdom" with others in an attempt to look good. Think Cliff Claven from Cheers without the humor because it's really not funny when you have to work with the guy. Have you been lucky enough to avoid "that guy"? I've had at least one at every place I've ever worked.
Thus the back story where he put together "no torches" and "8 lb. irons" to make it as though everyone who's worth his salt has always soldered everything with 8 lb. coppers (like he did).
My current workload is not very challenging, so my only "kink" these days is the people I do it with. Once I get the scratch up for the spool gun and argon for my home shop, I'll share some kinks with welding aluminum that are sure to come.
I had a guy tell me he was a "Third Generation Metalworker". He was a traveler and supporting and different fellow in an election. I told him I was looking for some help in an architectural shop and asked if he knew how to solder. He barked back at me: "I told you I'm a third generation metalworker". He informed mr he could solder stainless steel overhead in a freezer. So I told him to come on in and we'd goive him a try. This guuy couldn't even solder in the flat. I gave him a Bull Trowel and let him strip the metal another man installed to try and teach him what it was suppose to be like. He never did catch on. Great Talker though. Peace dupree
Old 11-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Professional Member

Default yeap

i hear it all the time..
guys say yeah i can weld this and that.. blah blah..
then i say .. no really can you weld..
then they say "well, i have done it before.". whatever..
funny how a guy with some (little) experience can think he would be as good as a guy that does is every day , for over ten years.. but some people are just to smart..
apprentices can be this way sometimes..
granted some are talented but that never makes up for skills learned over the years..

i have gone to many a site and had a look @ what the last guy did..the guys that say they can weld..
i shudder ..wondering if they really know how crappy they did!..
was in a shop the other day..these guys just had new stainless counters installed..
the corners were just ground off..the mig welded it!! and did not even removed the burn or discoloration.. wow!..
i went to the truck and walked back in with my cordless grinder and grained them in 2 minutes..
funny i was actually ther to buy something..
i told the service man..i could not stand to see it.. i had to fix it..
i think they were a tad embarassed.. mayby i am to much! but it was bad.. it drove me nuts looking @ it!

seriously they must have made all the countertops in about 2 hours and done!..
out the door!
rant rant sorry hijack!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:29 AM
ME

Default That Guy - The Salesperson!

The stories one could tell about Salesperson.

I met "That Guy " a salesperson for a local heating company I worked at several years ago. We started off on the wrong foot and years later ended on the same wrong foot. This guy was unbelievable, the systems he could sell, or maybe shouldn't have?

One very cold morning, we left the shop to meet a crane at the job. A typical rooftop replacement. The salesman marked a big X on the unit that was to be disconnected." It's a no brainer" he said, already verified and marked with the big X . So we're up on the roof, located and began disconnecting the unit with the big X. We shut off and disconnected the gas, The hook was pulled on the electric, we locked out and disconnected the electric. We disconnected the low voltage. Cut around any caulk, etc.

It's not really to long before the cranes in place and we hook the old unit. It's lifted off the roof and onto the drive where it meets the scrap guy with the sawsall. The scrap is really efficient and begins the daunting task of cutting the unit up into many pieces - sorting all the copper, aluminum, wiring, etc, before placing the pieces in his van.

Meanwhile, we're on the roof (it's really cold) all moving at a pretty good pace trying to get the new curb adaptor set in place so we could set the new rooftop unit. One of the service techs moves into the building to replace the thermostat. That's when the job went south on us! As he was playing with the thermostat wires, the unit next to us kept going on and off, short cycling. (something in that order) We were joking about the service tech is probably pulling the wrong stat? If it was only that simple, it turned out "That Guy" marked the wrong unit!

Never again.

It wasn't long after that incident, the boss started having me meet up with "that guy" at "questionable" jobs to try and avoid this mistake again.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Professional Member

Wink OH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
The stories one could tell about Salesperson.

I met "That Guy " a salesperson for a local heating company I worked at several years ago. We started off on the wrong foot and years later ended on the same wrong foot. This guy was unbelievable, the systems he could sell, or maybe shouldn't have?

One very cold morning, we left the shop to meet a crane at the job. A typical rooftop replacement. The salesman marked a big X on the unit that was to be disconnected." It's a no brainer" he said, already verified and marked with the big X . So we're up on the roof, located and began disconnecting the unit with the big X. We shut off and disconnected the gas, The hook was pulled on the electric, we locked out and disconnected the electric. We disconnected the low voltage. Cut around any caulk, etc.

It's not really to long before the cranes in place and we hook the old unit. It's lifted off the roof and onto the drive where it meets the scrap guy with the sawsall. The scrap is really efficient and begins the daunting task of cutting the unit up into many pieces - sorting all the copper, aluminum, wiring, etc, before placing the pieces in his van.

Meanwhile, we're on the roof (it's really cold) all moving at a pretty good pace trying to get the new curb adaptor set in place so we could set the new rooftop unit. One of the service techs moves into the building to replace the thermostat. That's when the job went south on us! As he was playing with the thermostat wires, the unit next to us kept going on and off, short cycling. (something in that order) We were joking about the service tech is probably pulling the wrong stat? If it was only that simple, it turned out "That Guy" marked the wrong unit!

Never again.

It wasn't long after that incident, the boss started having me meet up with "that guy" at "questionable" jobs to try and avoid this mistake again.
OH!! THAT GUY!!!! dupree
Old 11-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Professional Member

Default that guy!

here one about that guy!

that guy was a foreman of mine!
On of the guys that held no trade certification but when on the jobsite, would preceed to tell the , electrician, plumber, gas fitter and sheet metal guys how to do thier jobs!!

Well we were changing a system(kitchen exhaust) I tagged out the fuse panel, taped the breaker with do not turn on and dated it..
then i went to roof and removed fan from curb and set it behind me( up blast squirrel cage).. welded a new fitting on then fit the new fan..aluminum upbast extractor..
well i was bent over hinging it when the old fan behind me comes on.. my freaking arse was almost in it..
i screamed down the shaft " shut the fan @#$#ing breaker off" quite loudly..My foreman comes running out and goes oh sorry guess that was the fan!

Are you freaking kidding me?
Same guy asked me to get a head start by welding fitting together on the ground while him and another guy put of scaffolding?

5 minutes later he was yelling for me to look out.. they dropped a cross section!
are you freaking kidding me? I went home! I never climbed the scaffolding once and welded everything from the first section 5 feet up..I was sure he did not have his scaffolding certification!

I almost died twice on that job!

Another job i was doing we needed another harness, rope and grab.for my apprentice to work off a ladder. He complained that he could not just keep buying this stuff for us.
I hung up on him and phoned the owner.He brought it down within the hour.

@ the end of the day i watched my apprentice throw the new harness and rope off the second story roof to the ground..!!I was shocked
After we extracted it from the snow bank..I told him that might have to save his life one day..And then asked him if he still trusts that grab.He said he might not..But he got the point ..And i am sure the grab was still good after i inspected it.. But the next guy would not know..

?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Professional Member

Angry This topic made my day

I just don't argue anymore. Well unless its life threatening....Like this guy we have, he always over the years has insisted that when when bending box gutter you bend the little 1x1x1 rib first, just box it out the do the rest hard to explain.....I'd be 'look XXXX I made 1500' of the crap yesterday don't you figure I know the bend sequence?' 'no do it my way' he'd argue so....I would...while telling my helper to shear us another piece.

I have a boss too who insists I should be making my conductor heads in one piece, no joints at all, that his dad did and if I was any kind of a sheet metal mechanic I know how to do this.

As for our newest THAT GUY well to tell the tales would be something like this: "!@#$ (*&^ %^ (*(^% (*& ^%." ect. ect. ect. its that bad.