The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Metal Roofs

Metal Roofs
Discussion forum and information on Metal Roofs.

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-25-2010, 09:00 AM

Man! That's clean! Nice work!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 AM

Very nice work! Please post some pictures of it installed. Are you going to clear coat it, or let it patina?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Professional Member

Thumbs up copper cupola

Hello to all new member here. Great work. I tried to post a picture to see if I could do it. This is an old steeple on which I did some repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
slate roof021.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 AM
ME

Welcome to TheSheetMetalShop site Marc.

Wow, what a project! What was all involved in the repairs?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Welcome to TheSheetMetalShop site Marc.

Wow, what a project! What was all involved in the repairs?
I had to replace/ re-strap about a hundred slates on this roof, reflash the brick paripit and rebuid one skylite frame with a new pc. of safety glass. Around the base of this steeple I removed all the slate, refelted and repaired the wall flashing and apron. As far as I know the steeple is still getting water in as I told the contractor that he'd have to scaffold up to do it right. The fascia on this church is at least 60' from the ground add another 36' rafter on a 10/12 and the height of the steeple another 40', not for the faint at heart.This job lasted a full month if I remember correctly. I'll try and find the other pics. I didn't take pics of all the other work, bit when I go back I will. I did manage to find a pc. of one of the gargoyles as this was a catholic church.
Attached Thumbnails
slate roof027.jpg   slate roof017.jpg   slate roof033.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to roofermarc For This Useful Post:
Bud (03-20-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Professional Member

Default wow

do the gargoyles catch the rain and direct it out.. what i mean is are they hollow and connected to the rain gutter ? thats so amazing.. wish they still did that sort of thing in modern biulding techniques..again living in a walmart lowest price world sucks most of the time
Old 03-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by device View Post
do the gargoyles catch the rain and direct it out.. what i mean is are they hollow and connected to the rain gutter ? thats so amazing.. wish they still did that sort of thing in modern biulding techniques..again living in a walmart lowest price world sucks most of the time
That's not a gutter can in which the gargoyles are connected I don't believe, thats a round formed pc of copper. Its really an elaborate system of molds and hammered out pcs. Now that I have an venue to share some of this stuff, I'll climb back up there and take some more shots. The outfit though that I did this job for went in guns a blazin gonna fix this roof, yeah right, looking at it from the ground with binoculars, I told them you cant stop this thing from leaking man it was built in 1880 or somewhere around then. This is Ursuline's academy in New Orleans.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Professional Member

Default Ursulines academy steeple

I found a few more pics for anyone interested. That's me on the roof and that's a lightning rod wire that's hanging loose not anything of safety no way. Like I said before, I didn't do anything to the steeple itself other than some cualking, re slate and refelt (using U.L. 30#) around the base of the steeple. I recommended installing a large pan to catch the water placed inside the steeple with a drain going outside the building. You could actually climb up inside of this thing. Yeah I had a good time on this job. It worked out that we picked up a bunch more work to do also on other parts of the school.
Attached Thumbnails
slate roof025.jpg   slate roof026.jpg   slate roof035.jpg   slate roof022.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 AM
Professional Member

I remember now how all these pcs. were attached, they used a nail and they tabbed everything also. There's wood behind this thing. But in places the nail acted like a rivet if I remember correctly. A period correct artisan! He/she would know. Two other roofs of copper on the same building and the attic where my helper sat, he couldn't get on the roof, and the last is a pic of a rockwell sander I restored, I managed to post it as an accident and cant/dont know how to delete it.
Attached Thumbnails
slate roof018.jpg   slate roof019.jpg   slate roof028.jpg   slate roof002.jpg  
Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM

I have to say that is some beautiful work. I have constructed a cupola for atop my garage that is about 36" square with the same style concave roof as you have shown in your image. Mine would not be freestanding although had I known that a free standing structure could be used I would not have bothered framing and sheathing it. Is there any way that I could have you fabricate something similar on top of my framed structure? Any idea as to what this would cost?