The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Shaping

Sheet Metal Shaping Got a passion for shaping sheet metal? Open discussion on metal shaping here. Talk about tools, tips and techniques. (Please read rules before posting)

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-23-2014, 02:08 PM

Default making waste gates in a car fender...

Hello to all,

I am working on a 1965 Impala and I am closely watching the progress of Chip Foose' Imposter project. While I understand how he sectioned the quarter panels and moved the roof, and also lowered it by about 1 1/4 inches, what I don't get is how he made the waste gates in each front fender behind the wheel well. There are several different angles involved and a curving section as well. Can anyone give me guidance on reproducing these great looking gills? I could reproduce them via a clay mold and fiberglass overlay but I would rather do it in metal. The waste gates I am speaking of can be seen at Chip's Facebook site or just Google "The Imposter '65 Impala" and look at the front fenders in-between the door and the wheel well. By the way, I asked Chip and have had no answer. Must be a trade secret....

thanks!!
Biz.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:53 AM

Hi Biz
There are a few ways to add these waste gates. One way to accomplish this would be to get some MDF board at your local home builders supply store. Using a template, like masking paper or light cardboard, cut out your desired shape, and lay it on the fender, to check size and location. Once your satisfied, with the location, make timing marks. You can punch small holes in your template in each corner and also trace out the perimeter on to fender.
Now transfere your template to the MDF board ( multi density fiber ) and trace it out. Now you have to think ahead, leaving enough material in your vent holes to chase a finished edge.
I will try to find a close example of a recent project. I know pictures are worth so much more information. I'm not sure if I will be able to post as of yet, as this is my very first post.
The Following User Says Thank You to ProMetalShop For This Useful Post:
Bud (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 08:48 AM

Ok this first picture is the original hammer form for a simple window opening in a side panel for a 34 Ford. This was the first set for the customer, untill he changed his mind for something different.

I may have to post a few times were as I am having problems with my photo bucket freezing on me.

Last edited by ProMetalShop; 10-12-2014 at 09:32 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ProMetalShop For This Useful Post:
Bud (10-12-2014), MattM (03-14-2015)
Old 10-12-2014, 09:23 AM
ME

Welcome to the forum. It seemed to work out fine. Thank you for the contributions to this thresd.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Thank You Bud, it seems to be all on the photo bucket site. I'm using my iPad and jumping back and forth to my laptop. Glad to help and learn where I can.

Here is another that I used the same hammer form, but with out the full side panel.

The Following User Says Thank You to ProMetalShop For This Useful Post:
MattM (03-14-2015)
Old 10-13-2014, 06:59 AM

Default Hi and thnks for the tips!

Thanks for the tips
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMetalShop View Post
Hi Biz
There are a few ways to add these waste gates. One way to accomplish this would be to get some MDF board at your local home builders supply store. Using a template, like masking paper or light cardboard, cut out your desired shape, and lay it on the fender, to check size and location. Once your satisfied, with the location, make timing marks. You can punch small holes in your template in each corner and also trace out the perimeter on to fender.
Now transfere your template to the MDF board ( multi density fiber ) and trace it out. Now you have to think ahead, leaving enough material in your vent holes to chase a finished edge.
I will try to find a close example of a recent project. I know pictures are worth so much more information. I'm not sure if I will be able to post as of yet, as this is my very first post.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:02 AM

Question questions,....

So... do you mean to say that the MDF is the form against which you hammer the sheet metal to shape it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMetalShop View Post
Hi Biz
Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 AM

Hi Biz
Yes you can cut out the the desired shape in the MDF and lay your sheet metal on the board. Now you have to clamp the sheet metal in place ether by another piece of MDF, with a window giving you access to your panel so you can chase/hammer into the shape cut in your hammer form. Or you can also use random pieces of wood or metal to create more clamping power. It's all about keeping the metal in one place and restricting it from deforming. Now you will still have to address the metal after you shape it into your buck. Anytime you move metal, you cause a disturbance in the surrounding areas. These have to be addressed. Understanding how the metal moves will better help you control/repair it. If you start your project, and post pictures I can help guide you threw. You will want to get familiar with stretching and shrinking. These two actions are the only changes you make to metal to make any shape.
Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ProMetalShop For This Useful Post:
Defender Chassis (03-25-2016), Paul Stalenberg (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 01:37 AM

Nice work here!
Please keep thr pictures coming!
Thanks

Greetings Paul