The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Shaping

Sheet Metal Shaping Got a passion for shaping sheet metal? Open discussion on metal shaping here. Talk about tools, tips and techniques. (Please read rules before posting)

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-14-2013, 04:16 PM

Default Tig welding question

Hey all,

I am going to be doing some sculpture work with aluminum for a project and I was thinking that tig welding would be the best way to do that. I haven't worked with tig in about 20 years. Anybody got any suggestions as to what kind I should get?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Professional Member

Default ?

do you mean what make?

what gauge thickness alum..

if your doing scultures you might want tig and spoolgun.. tig cannot reach every little nook and crany like spooling can..

miller make some nice equip these days..

something ac with high freq start and square wave option.. also with pulse frew adjustment..

use straight argon..
Old 08-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Okay, thanks. I'll definitely go with a torch then for my tig. I did some looking around and it seems like longevity give you a pretty good bang for your buck. Hear of them?
Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 PM

I went with the tigweld 200SX by longevity welders. It was a well priced tig welder within my budget. I talked to the sales rep and he said that they don't make a spoolgun for the tig but they have lots of good mig welders that go with spoolguns. He recommended that if I do decide to go with the mig that I should get the migweld 140.

Here's a link to the tigweld 200sx. I ended up getting it off of amazon cuz they do free 2 day shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/LONGEVITY-Tigw...=tigweld+200sx
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Professional Member

Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldcrazy88 View Post
I went with the tigweld 200SX by longevity welders. It was a well priced tig welder within my budget. I talked to the sales rep and he said that they don't make a spoolgun for the tig but they have lots of good mig welders that go with spoolguns. He recommended that if I do decide to go with the mig that I should get the migweld 140.

Here's a link to the tigweld 200sx. I ended up getting it off of amazon cuz they do free 2 day shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/LONGEVITY-Tigw...=tigweld+200sx
i hope it works for you.. its a chinese brand..sometimes they works sometimes they last.. but not most of the time.. if you check the reviews.. most of which are fake reviews !
Old 09-25-2015, 09:20 AM

One of the big things with Aluminium is CLEAN ,make sure there is no contamination .contamination = bad ,dirty weld = lots of swearing ,I always use Acetone to clean prior to tacking and then again before each weld ,never use a steel wire brush ,use stainless and only use it on the aluminium do not cross contaminate, I take it that the material is quite light a 200 amp wont let you do heavy unless you preheat .
I have a Lincoln Electric square wave TIG 355 its mostly cast aluminium and cast bronze I TIG ,and a little stainless .

Cheers Marky