The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Shaping

Sheet Metal Shaping Got a passion for shaping sheet metal? Open discussion on metal shaping here. Talk about tools, tips and techniques. (Please read rules before posting)

Share This Forum!  

Old 01-04-2015, 06:32 AM

Default making Metal Cones, where to get them or can someone in here make them

Hi guys! I'm a newbie in here. I'm kind of getting into more sheet metal fab work here at my shop at the house. I'm looking to either get what I need to make my own cones or else find a source for them. Right now I'm working on a new style suction nozzle for a gold dredge. I've sort of found a source for what I need, but it's a real pain to cut and modify what I've had to buy. Right now what I'm working with comes as a cone, 2 inch opening on one end and a 5 inch opening on the other 13.4 inches long. I'm having to cut it in three sections to get three cones. One cones come out 2-3, the next 3-4 and the last 4-5. The company I get these from wants a small fortune to make the same sizes in individual sections. I'm new at doing real sheet metal/tinsmithing. I've acquired a Pexto G-52a with an air assist that I still have to finish refurbing and also a Pexto 1005 brake. I was reading in the forum about cone rollers/formers. How hard are they to find? Also how hard is it to make really accurate cone? I'd like to be able to make a cone with a 15* taper, that's the optimum angle I need. the ones I'm modifying are with in 2-1/2* of what I really need. I'd also like to be able to make or buy them out of SS 11-12 gauge instead of the 14-16 gauge mild steel I'm working with now.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:59 AM

Default Cones

You can roll up low angle cones quite easily with a set of slip rolls. The larger the diameter, the easier it gets. I'd also recommend investing in a good unishear, rated for 1 or 2 gauges heavier than you will be cutting.
If you're careful with the lay out and cutting, and roll them up accurately, there should be no reason why you can't make them exactly to the measurements you require. For layout, you will need some sort of trammel points setup, for scribing the arcs.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.c.tinbasher View Post
You can roll up low angle cones quite easily with a set of slip rolls. The larger the diameter, the easier it gets. I'd also recommend investing in a good unishear, rated for 1 or 2 gauges heavier than you will be cutting.
If you're careful with the lay out and cutting, and roll them up accurately, there should be no reason why you can't make them exactly to the measurements you require. For layout, you will need some sort of trammel points setup, for scribing the arcs.
Do you have access to Facetime or Skype ? I can set-up a time and lay it with you so you can make it yourself......PM me if you are interested....SB
Old 02-06-2015, 08:15 PM

Default reply

Shoneyboy, thanks for the offer but I am doing good to just get a computer to work for me or do texting. I have no idea how to do Facetime or Skype.

I've not had a chance to get back to the "cone" project as I just had a rather demanding task put to me that takes priority over everything. I've got to rebuild the entire inside of Linda's horse trailers living quarters. I have to install all new wiring, add an AC roof unit, add a connection for shore power and also have it where she can run it off a generator if she wants to. In addition I have to add and inverter system so she can run off 12v battery power too. I have two weeks to have it completed. I did get my Pexto 1005 brake stripped and repainted, it looks almost like new. Next I plan to fix the Pexto 52A shear as soon as I get the BP Mills VFD wired in to I can fab another arm for the shear. I did see a neat trick about rolling cones using a 3/4 sheet of plywood with a hole cut in it to form the metal. You get the metal cut to size and wrestle it to shape by getting the small ends inside the hole and keep tapping it with dead blow hammer until the ends get close. Right now I do not have a slip roll.