The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Basics

Sheet Metal Basics Forum for those beginning sheet metal layout and other related fields. Let the industry help answer your questions. There's plenty of experienced help in our shop wanting to help you.

Share This Forum!  

Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Professional Member

It would be better for you to lay it out with a vertical seam seeing as you are just learning how to do it. If you were making it in a shop you would layout the seam horizontal because you would only have to layout half of the fitting. Cut it out, flip it over and trace it on another piece of metal for the other half. If you really want more practice you can lay it out with seams on the corners. 95% of our sq to rd's are 4 piece. That's just the way we do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to striker12300 For This Useful Post:
Bud (02-24-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Im with Striker12300, if you make it in two halves and use E and D as your seaming points all you would have to do is trace out the second pattern. If you are building the offset square to round for production all you need to lay out is a pattern. I usually just trace a second one off the same pattern and flip it over when I break it up. It just faster that way, but if you want the experience I would put the seam on it using B and B. Also to keep down on confusing yourself from point A mark 1-6 then from point C continue 6-11. There is less confusion on the true length triangle and all you will need is one this way. If it is center line as the first one you pictured all you will need is a pattern, all of the dimensions will be the same. Hope this helps Shoneyboy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoneyboy For This Useful Post:
Bud (02-24-2011), mike39 (02-24-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 AM

Default I get it.

Ok, finally figured it out! Thanks to everyone for all the help. Bud's rectangle to round exercise from this website helped alot, but my biggest problem was I missed something in Bud's square to round lesson on Sheet Metal World......... I wasn't taking my generator line spacing from my top view, leaving me with too much material, and generator lines that weren't always higher than the preceding line.
Pays to pay attention, I guess.

1. Square to round from Sheet Metal World
2. Rectangle to round from Sheet Metal Shop
3. Square to round, flat side, that I couldn't get out of my head!
Attached Thumbnails
20110223_12.jpg   20110224_5.jpg   20110224_4.jpg  
Old 02-24-2011, 03:31 PM
ME

Striker and Shoney, thank you for your input... you're absolutely right on the sides being done as efficient as possible and less step means less mistakes.

My bad.

Mike, Great job on the layout and thank you for asking for our help here on TheSheetMetalShop.com
Old 02-25-2011, 04:06 AM
Professional Member

Looks like you got it figured out Mike. Great job. And the best thing is once you get the basics figured out, you should be able to layout almost any sq to rd or rec.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:06 AM

Mike39, I’m from Louisiana and we are paying a premium for any hand fabricated fittings. I recently had to buy 10 - 28” x 12” - 12” round, offset 4” on the 12” side and center line the 28” way (similar to the one that you made but a little larger) for the company I work for. I pd $120.00 each, so for less than 8 hrs of work and once they pd for their materials a sheet metal company made around $800.00 profit. My company will not allow me to do business with them, so I can’t do the work for them…..Sucks because I could have made them on a Saturday and made a little less, saving them money and making me a few extra bucks. I wanted to say “Great Job” stick with it and will pay off, this is a dying trade that will always be needed. Shoneyboy
Old 02-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Professional Member

Wink dying trade

These skills will never die as long threre are peeps that want to learn and books etc. are out there. dupree
if U never slow down U never grow old
Old 05-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Professional Member

Default not perfect

Its good to see someone trying to learn s/m layout, as I haven't got anyone interested in it down here where I'm at. Maybe its just boring! I have myself made these from taking some measurements and transferring them until I come up with what I need. They don't work out perfect, but I can get by. Try it sometimes, a whole lot faster.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Professional Member

When you get some time off Marc get with me and I can float on down there and show you some neat easy ways to learn some fun basic stuff that you can apply to mostly anything you want to do. I instructed school for 3 years and I don't go around the hard way to show basic stuff so it's easier to understand. We can start with your new half round dormers you can bid on. Sell some of that shiny copper I see you making nice stuff out of already anyway. Plus shaping radius moldings.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:16 PM

Default Square to round

Hi all. I am having difficulty developing the square to round. Can anyone explain how to find the true lengths please.
Fab forum by the way guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy diesel junior For This Useful Post:
Shoneyboy (01-31-2014)