The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Kinks

Kinks Share your tips and techniques here. The old timers used to refer this as KINKs. Thanks for sharing.

Share This Forum!  

Old 10-27-2006, 01:22 PM

HEY CCRAYJR, WE HAVE MORE THAN WHT I PROPOSE, WE HAVE ACCESS TO FORK TRUCK AND THE ROOM TO MOVE. I'LL DRAW A QUICK DRAWING AND TRY TO ATTACH IT TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA WHAT IM LOOKING AT ...THNAKS AGAIN
RUSS
Old 10-27-2006, 05:50 PM
ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by russhvac
OUR SHOP IS AT THE LEAST 20FT X 24FT , OVER HEAD DOOR WITH OUT DOOR LOADING DOCK, POSSIBLE FORK LIFT, AT VERY LEAST APALLET JACK, NOWHERE NEAR READY FOR A PLASMA...WHERE CAN I GET TOP VIEW TEMPLATS, AVAILBLE? OR DRAW THEM?
RUSS
You'd probaly have to draw them out...I did this once on construction paper and was able to best think things through...the equipment is heavy too be moving around...

Bud
Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 AM

I've had a small shop for over 15 years now. We used to work out of our garage and now have a bigger place. 40ft X 70ft to be exact. I've looked all over for shop design. It's totally about feel.

We have two stations with a break, table and pittsburgh machine.
All the other machines are placed with as much room around them as we can get. I've never found a flow to the shop. Even if I had it set up the way I think it should. It would never work out. Go with what makes you feel comfortable. there's no proper way to set up a small shop. A bigger shop with plasma cutters etc. maybe. But a really small shop, I think it's all about how you get the most done. Everyone does this job differently.
Attached Thumbnails
shop_121.jpg  
Old 10-24-2009, 12:12 PM

Default shop layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by russhvac
i am new to the sheet metal field, i am puuting together a shop and was looking for a basic( or complicated ) for a machine layout.how should it flow. splitter to pittsburgh to break. so i can have a shop that flows and we are not falling over each other..maybe a drawing of where it all goes.. i would appreciate everyones advice..
russ
Russ- I've always tried to set my shop up to accomidate the work being done. I normally fab most of my duct, so my sheet steel rack is beside my layout bench. from there it moves through the pittsburg to the assembly bench. (all on the same wall). At the end of the 2nd bench is my 8' brake and 4' pan/box. on an additional bench behind me ( when standing at the layout bench) is my shear table, bar folder, rotary machines, etc. Behind that bench on another table are my forming stakes, bench vise, grinder, and that area transitions to where my anvil and forge are located. My S&Drive machine is in that general area also, just because it's heavy, and it was positioned close to the door it arrived through! Hope some of this helps. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Professional Member

I feel spoiled hearing how about how small are some of the shops. We feel constantly pinched with a 40 x 60 floor space. Material on hand takes up probably 20% of the space and product going out the door can take up 20% at times. Machinery probably takes up another 20%. Then you have the office taking up about the same 20%. We keeping building new racks closer to the ceiling but they just seem to keep getting filled.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:52 AM

you should work your way out of the shop... keep metal in the front
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 PM

Hi, I'm new To this forum thing and I have some questions. I'm wondering if I ask them here if they'll be noticed since this thread is 5years old. Can someone advise me?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:36 AM
ME

Welcome to TheSheetMetalShop Jsribble. We have threads as far back as 2003

What questions do you have? Feel free to start a new thread anytime. There is plenty of experienced help here and lots of opinions - might not always be the answer you're wanting or looking for, but that's the nature of the beast in forums at time.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Keep in mind any possible future equipment purchases. We moved to a new shop last October set it up and recently had to move everything around when we bought our plasma. Pallet racks, machines and inventory, I don't plan on moving anytime soon.