The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 03-17-2005, 05:06 PM

Default How do you real metal workers make this part????!!!!

We run a cnc sheetmetal shop, I've only been making sheetmetal parts for about 5yrs, but have been able to make everything we need with our cnc equipment. However the drawing attached is of a box with no top or bottom, about 20" wide and 6" wide, how can you bend this with only 1 seam.

I am guessing you need a manual type of pan/box brake? We don't have one, and I have been trying to talk boss into getting one, but we only run across stuff like this once in a great while. If it really can be done, then we will buy one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lMoto/Bend.bmp
Old 03-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Professional Member

If it has no top or bottom I would call it a sleeve. You don't need a box and pan brake to bend this. Start from one end with the entire piece in the brake, make the first bend and pull the piece out to the next bend. Continue until done. You don't give dimensions so I don't know how tight the last bend will be, but it can be done.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:27 AM

I don't see how that would be possible. There is not clearance on a press brake to fold the last bend. The part would smash against the upperbeam, and if it didn't how does your tooling get out of the part?

anybody?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:17 AM
ME

It should work, first, I would do the smallest bend, then pull the material out far enough for the next bend and so forth, the forth and final bend should bend at a 90, this too depends on the thickness of the material, go ahead and try, you'll find as you bend the last 90 that the sheet metal is pretty forgiving and the second bend may be pulled in a bit for you to complete the last bend..
Old 03-21-2005, 02:19 PM

Okay...I haven't tried it yet, but how will I be able to make the final bend. The picture here is of the first 3 bends--no problem., but that last bend will never get close to folding over right? My tooling is just standard gooseneck punch and "v" die. I've looked at something called a MagnaBend, that looks like would be perfect for it..anyone know?

BTW: Material 18ga S.S.

In the meantime I'm going to go ahead and try one out of aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails
bend.jpg  
Old 03-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Professional Member

A magna bender will work they are nice tools, very under used in the shops that have them. But you could do this on a good 16 gauge (Tennsmith) Box and Pan Brake ($1300). Although it doesn't have to be a box and pan for this item. The last bend will go over the top of the brake blade and even if it didn't you just overbend the last bend so when you take it out all will be well. Like Bud said "try it" and you'll see.
By the way, nice illustrations. If you don't have a brake, to to a local shop and let them show you that it will work.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:29 PM
ME

Material 18ga S.S. is some heavy stuff...how wide will the piece be? Make sure the brake is capable? As I mentioned above, I was referring to lighter gauge steel, I'm not sure if this will work with the materail you're needing to bend? What is this piece going to be used for?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:13 PM

Hi Larger,
You really have 2 options. Firdt is a window die.Weld 2 pieces of bar stock vertically to a length of stock horizontially.The horizontal should have a radis on it to match your needs.when you are finished you have a u shape. The centre of the u is the window.form your part so it comes through the open window. Option #2 is form off the end of your brake. simply hang your tooling past the end of the ram.Form the part as you would nomally except the final bend.Form the final bend only untill it makes contact with the ram,then stop.Move to the end of your brake then continue forming till it's at the angle you require.
Hope this helps.
Tom
Old 03-22-2005, 05:50 PM

Sorry I forgot a small bit of info. If your machine senses too much tonnage on 1 side, us a piece of scrap material near the middle of the machine to help even the pressure difference.
You didn't mention what tonnage your machine is. I have used this method many times on our little 80 ton amada.
till later Tom
Old 03-23-2005, 08:00 AM

15" wide- 85 ton press brake--plently of tonnage--machine has automatic crowning so I don't have to worry about differences from one end to the other. Machine does have safety doors that are not going to allow me to bend 15" outside of the machine. I looked at the magnabend-it's not rated for my material. I know this part can be made, because it is now, but how am I going to!!!!!!! How accurate is a pan brake, how long will it take to bend 50pcs?