The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Machinery Talk

Sheet Metal Machinery Talk
Discussion on Metal Fabrication Machinery including Q&A on maintenance and repairs. Plasma, Lock Formers, Brakes, ect.

Share This Forum!  

Old 10-19-2006, 10:28 PM

Default Duct Notcher?

I am expanding my sheet metal shop and i was wondering, do the speed notchers/ duct notchers really speed up production? Or is it almost as fast just using the hand notchers and a tape measure? And if i was to purchase one i have been pretty interested in berry industries notcher... does anyone know if they last. Thanks
Old 10-20-2006, 12:29 PM

To a point yes they are worth it. For many years we used to layout straight duct by hand. Between measuring, layout, and notching, you'll save a ton of time. With the speed nother you'll also do away with most of the human error that is possible with laying out by hand.

Now for my sales pitch... I have a used 10' notcher that I would like to sell. It is a Lockformer and started out as a TDC notcher, we added 5 slip and drive heads to it, so now it does both. I think that Lockformer gets around $13,000 for the machine new, I would like to get around $5,000. I am in NY, about 30 minutes from CT.

Dan
Old 10-21-2006, 01:13 PM

No kidding, im am about 10 minutes from ct so i am very interested. what is the reason u are selling it for? If u want u can email me SCUjay123@aol.com. By the way that was a smooth sales pitch lol
Old 10-22-2006, 03:53 PM

jm413 check your mail.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 AM

I have used a duct notcher in the past, and found them to be very accurate, and definitely faster than hand notching. However, when I came back to work in the family shop, and we set to purchacing new equipment, we found the duct notcher to be priced a bit out of our range. So what we have done instead, is use the portable bandsaw to do all our notching. I have notched up to fifty sheets at one time, accurately, and at four times the speed of of any speed notcher. All you have to do is stack your cut sheets square, and straight (a jig definitely helps) notch your top sheet by hand, clamp the stack tightly with a pair of c-clamps, and cut out the notches with the bandsaw. Our bandsaw cost under a thousand dollars, takes up no floor space, and is easy to maintain. I would never even think of doing it any other way.

scootluc