The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Machinery Talk

Sheet Metal Machinery Talk
Discussion on Metal Fabrication Machinery including Q&A on maintenance and repairs. Plasma, Lock Formers, Brakes, ect.

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-04-2005, 04:49 PM

Default cheek bender

I've got a nice new Tennsmith cheek bender and am clueless how to use it. A former employee who came from a fully equiped shop talked me in to getting some new & bigger equipment. I've done alright with just an inline finger brake, shear & spot welder. Ofcourse the guy decided to be a farmer 6 weeks after i'd ordered the equipment, now that its here i'm self teaching but this cheek bender that "i had to have", has got me stumped on how it bends anything?
Old 09-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Professional Member

The "cheek bender" bends the 1/4" bend on the throat of a square elbow. If your elbow is small enough you can do all four bends. This is on your cheeks to prepare them for the pittsburged throat and wrapper.
bordontn
Old 12-04-2006, 05:56 PM

While we are on the subject of 1/4 benders, I have a question. My lockformer 24" cheek bender is at least 10 yrs old and the wear and tear has created slack in its operation. When the bending leaf is pulled up with a piece of metal in place, it gaps and no longer creates a 90 degree bend. Should I replace a part or the whole thing? If I need to start a new thread please let me know.
Thank You.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 AM

Eric,

What angle of bend is it creating? Is the non handle end hinge worn?
It may be as easy as replacing the hinge pins, or the bar leaf itself may not be square.

Chad.
Gladwin-Omaha
Old 12-06-2006, 07:31 PM

Thanks Chad,
The angle created is about 80 degrees which when put into a pittsburgh lock is enough to uglify the elbow. I've been finishing the bend with hand seamers. When a piece is bent, the cheek is upright as it should be in the machine but the quarter inch is not held tight in its slot and it points down. Thanks for the input. I'll look closer at the hinges and the squareness (which I didn' t know was adjustable) and get back to you.

Eric
Old 12-08-2006, 07:21 AM

Eric,

What gauge of metal are you bending with this machine? The bender is rated and factory setup for 20 gauge. Over time the plate will wear and create a larger gap.

If the bender is under bending with the lighter gauge, you can remove the top plate (couple of bolts) and remove the factory shims and replace with thinner shims until the gap opening is snug. This will get you back to 90* bending.

Chad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gladwin-Omaha For This Useful Post:
tinnerjohn (01-01-2018)
Old 12-14-2006, 06:10 PM

I think that might do it. It looks like we'll have time to work on it over the slow holiday season. The shim is a plate with slots in it that won't be too hard to duplicate in a thinner metal. I appreciate your advice.