The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > A Tinners Porch

A Tinners Porch
Who knows what will come up in porch conversations.

Share This Forum!  

Old 10-08-2005, 04:30 AM
ME

Default Your Company Truck

There’s post on the Snips forum pertaining to company trucks and how you move your products such as ductwork, racks, do you use a trailer? Do you find it easier to lease or have your large jobs delivered? If you can take a photo of your company truck and post it here so others can see what works for you…

I worked for a contractor several years ago that actually chopped several feet off the back of a panel van to make it easier to park the thing in the citys tight spots. I'll see if I can get a picture (if he still has the truck)
Old 10-08-2005, 11:40 PM

I don't have any pix of my ride yet.. but soon hopefully. So for know I'll just let my words do the work lol.

We do almost all residential work where I am now. Since almost all of the duct is bought, aswell as the pipe, boots, etc we have it delivered. Really makes it handy for someone to just go out and get started, not have to hump all of the materials in by themselfs. Of course the fittings we make aswell as misc pieces from our shop we haul to the job.

Where I used to work I did almost all commercial work and we made all of the duct and fittings, just bought the pipe. We delivered and picked up the materials for those jobs. On some of the bigger jobs they had old semi trailers we could load up and they'd haul to the jobsite for us to work out of. 3/4 of the trailers were for the plumbers, but occasionally we'd get to use one. They didn't really have much for racks in them, might have had 10' boarded off in the front for an office/break room, but we'd just load it up with duct leaving enough room to walk down the middle.

The old company had tons of pickups, and a handfull of vans. The vans were driven by service guys, pickups by installers. Where I'm at now we have 2 pickups a suburban and a van (that I drive). Personally I wouldn't want to work out of anything but a van, but I do both service and install. The suburban works out really well too, I was quite impressed with all the nooks and crannies you could find to hide tools in.

Since I'm new with this company (5 months or so) I'm still working on organizing my van how I like it, I have to build some different shelfs and what not someday when I have some free time. Hopefully I'll get some pix for some before and after stories.

I'm really curious to see some other company vehicles to give me some good inspiration (and ideas) for mine.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:43 PM

Man every time I hit that submit button I always think of something else... if you feel the need feel free to throw this into my other post.

The old semi trailers the other company had were really old one's that weren't exactly road worthy, at least for a truck company, they worked great for us. And they bad a wrecker tow them to the job site, doing that they didn't have to have license plates, working breaks etc on the trailers.