The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > A Tinners Porch

A Tinners Porch
Who knows what will come up in porch conversations.

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-09-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Sheet metal border scribe--wanted

9-9-05
Greetings again folks,
Just remembered, does anyone know if Cain Mfg. Inc. in Birmingham, Ala. is still in business and if they are do they still make an adjustalble border scribe for sheet metal?
Several years ago I did some work for a fellow in a heat and air shop and managed to get about 3 of these little scribes and they have always been real handy to use. ( Wish I could post a picture so you would know what they looked like. ) They are made of stamped metal with a 6 inch gauge in the middle and have 2 adjustable stops or fences and are made so you can scribe with either end. If any of you have used them you know what I am talking about.
Once again thanks for any info,
R. Stone
Old 09-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesmith
9-9-05
Greetings again folks,
Just remembered, does anyone know if Cain Mfg. Inc. in Birmingham, Ala. is still in business and if they are do they still make an adjustalble border scribe for sheet metal?
Several years ago I did some work for a fellow in a heat and air shop and managed to get about 3 of these little scribes and they have always been real handy to use. ( Wish I could post a picture so you would know what they looked like. ) They are made of stamped metal with a 6 inch gauge in the middle and have 2 adjustable stops or fences and are made so you can scribe with either end. If any of you have used them you know what I am talking about.
Once again thanks for any info,
R. Stone
R.Stone

I think they are still in business. One of our local suppliers still carries them I think. I do not get out of the shop much but I have purchased the scribes you are talking about. I will find out if they still have any in stock and let you know.

Hope this helps.

Pricer
Old 09-23-2005, 02:13 PM

9-23-05
Thanks pricer,
Glad to see you're still around! If you are still interested in a picture of a TINKER'S PIG, I've found a new one. Go to http://www.goosebay-workshop.com/ . Then click on the "Historic presentations by Peter Goebel " ( on the left hand menu ) then scroll down the pictures on the right hand side and about half way to three quarters of the way down you should see a replica of a tinker's pig and a bunch of old tool that go with it. Goebel seems to put out some pretty good looking stuff! May have to order a piece or two. Thanks for the help on the border scribe.
R. Stone
( p.s. Bud , has anyone had any trouble accessing the forums today? 9-23-05? Quick reply was all I seemed to be able to work) Thanks again
Old 09-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Professional Member

Nice to be back Mr. Stone. I tryed the link you posted but it did not work, I will try again later. I have a new idea for a pig and I hope to build it soon. I found out this past weekend that my 26" long work pig is a bit too long to carry on my back thru the narrow ladder ways, I spent 24 hrs in a freezer onboard and it was 22 degrees F and the heat index outside was 103 F. I will have to build me an insulated narrower pig for those projects. All of my tools have a bit of surface rust on them from the condensation!

I have not forgot about the scribe, I will make a note to call our supplier Monday.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Professional Member

http://www.goosebay-workshops.com/Hi...y-Peter-Goebel

Try this link.

The hammer in the picture with the pig, whats the history there? I recently traded up for one that looks to be identical.Intresting.