The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-08-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Starting up a HVAC fabrication workshop

I am wondering if you guys can help me here !!

I am in the process of setting up a small to medium sized HVAC duct fabrication workshop and have been researching the market for suitable processes and machinery. My understanding so far is that a 'Plasma cutting table' is pretty much the way to go. However what other sort of fabrication equipment is normally required for bending or forming ducts?? Is there anybody who is actually involved in fabricationg HVAC duct work already and perhaps guide me in the right direction and what to look out for ?

Also what technique is best for making cable trays ?? Cold Roll forming ??

Any suggestions on equipment and their related costs will be very appreciated.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:54 PM

Go here and contact your UK salesman. You just canít bang out cable trays. They have to be certified. Bob http://www.ras-systems.com/
Old 08-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Professional Member

mansoor8....If you can afford a $50,000 plasma table as your first piece of equipment you better have a stack of orders in hand!..Start with a 4'shear; 8' brake; pittsburg machine; a good lay-out table; storage for your sheet metal and a big box of hand tools. bordontn
Old 08-09-2005, 09:30 AM

Bob, Bordontn - Thanks for your wisdom.

Having an engineering background, I am new to the sheet metal trade and just want to start a small HVAC fabrication workshop as I see demand being there. However, this certainly doesn't mean investing USD 50K in a plasma table. (This figure is more like my total budget) I was thinking, as a first piece of equipment, probably a Tracker CNC or Torchmate - this should be around USD 15K.

Bob , I was not aware that thay cable trays had to be certified, but certainly this means further looking into.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Professional Member

Mansoor,
If you can do a plasma table, you'll also want a 4' box and pan brake, a set of hand operated roll-formers with numerous rolls for forming beads, ogees, crimping, etc. Then you'll need a cleat former, a pittsburgh/snaplock/acme lock machine.
And last, but definitely most important-- a good set of books to know what you're doing.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansoor8
(This figure is more like my total budget) I was thinking, as a first piece of equipment, probably a Tracker CNC or Torchmate - this should be around USD 15K.
I don't believe they have HVAC patterns available with the software packages that are with those kits. You may want to look into a good HVAC cam program. Be sure to ask about the software that comes with the machine. If you have to purchase additional software make sure it has a good fitting library. You may want to check with MAP over in Blackpool. They have a very good package.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:14 AM

i've been told the shop i run is the most organized and efficiant shop in the greater sacramento 9ca0 area.i put a torchmate system together last year. i found a few problems with it but after the bugs were worked out the machine runs very efectively. to answer your question as to what equipment you might need to start, i would sugjest a 4' shear, a 10' break, a slitter, pittsburg former, set of rolls, a spot welder, and a beading tool. most importantly a lay-out man that knows what he is doing. that will be much more benifitial than any cnc machine you can buy. richie