The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > A Tinners Porch

A Tinners Porch
Who knows what will come up in porch conversations.

Share This Forum!  

Old 07-07-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Joining copper without visible joint AND no warping

Hi I'm new to the site and NATURALLY I signed up because I have some questions!!!LOL
I've built MANY metal bodied dobros and sheetmetal is what I do best BUT I've come a cross something I have NO clue about.

How in the world can I weld/solder/braze two pices of 32 weight copper pieces together without them warping AND still have the copper finish(witout the seem visible)???

I build custom bikes for a living on a small scale and now my better half has seen Jesse James build gastanks on tv,,,,, Need I say more????LOL

I have the metal shaped and now I need to put the 2 pieces together.
Any ideas??

Charlie
Old 07-07-2005, 05:08 AM

Maybe better (much safer) idea. Build tank out of steel> polish all joints>Send to local chromer and have it copper plated. Just an idea. Bob
Old 07-07-2005, 06:22 AM
Professional Member

If my memory serves me, Jesse or one of those custom bike builders did a tank out of copper. Don't remember how he did the joints but maybe you can find that series somewhere and watch.
Why does the seam need to be invisible? More important would be leak free and nice looking.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 AM

Hi tnbndr!

The need for invisibility is strictly cosmetic but let's face it, cutom bikes are almost ALL about looks so,,, ANY non leaking square box would WORK I just don't know anyone who would want it thou!!!LOL
Old 07-07-2005, 08:33 PM

i really dont think you could join 2 pieces of copper and not have a joint. with steel u could grind and make it look as one piece. but copper........i really dont think so. you'd have to form it out of 1 piece. either way u still have a joint. maybe make the tank so the seam is on the sides or bottom. maybe your gas cap could some what break up a joint?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Professional Member

Gargoyle...offset one half to the inside the thickness of your material.put'm together and braze..You have to seal with something with a lower melting point than your copper..If you build metal Dobros; which has to be delicate work, I'm sure you could end up with just a fine golden line around the perimeter of your tank..Might add to the character........ bordontn
Old 08-24-2005, 04:35 PM

I have built copper countertops in several sections and have found I can run silicone bronze through my MIG. A push/pull spool gun is preferable, but even a teflon liner can do the trick. When you are working on a large seam, weld (actually its brazing) in shorter stitches to avoid too much heat in your parent metal, better yet, stitch at 12 then 6 then one then 7, etc. To ensure water tight, you will need to engage the latter part of each weld as you begin each subsequent stitch weld. The bronze can be patinaed to match the copper.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:04 PM

I saw that show too several months ago. Sometimes I'm just very impressed when I make an offset that comes out right. I dunno bout a gas tank though lol.

From what I remember he took the kerf he had left over from his double cuts and tig welded it back together.

I think he formed 2 halfs, welded them together, cut it in half the other way, shaped it, welded it... then a lot more after that.