The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 06-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud
I think it's a great idea, but I would like to include smaller printable plans for those that have no cad. There are still many who sketch their way to the end product

Do you or anyone have something to contribute to such a directory.
I do not have a lot now but, I would think in time it would grow. Would it be possible for you to convert the DXF file to a jpeg and have both? I would do this with my offerings but I am not sure how to do it. Would it be better to do a DXF and a PDF file?

I could see this being a good thing. I hope we get some positive feed back.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Professional Member

traditionally a lantern would be soldered instead of seamed.the top as well.I seam mine. Made a seamer from a block of steel 2x2x3/8..cut a groove in it about 3/16 wide for a 1/8" seam in the 3/8" side of block.You could hand form around a piece of 3" pipe.I bought a set of 12" rollers from Harbor Freight. I also have a 1/4" hand seamer I found at a flea market..For larger projects.Have several stakes I use .A
blow horn stake and a beakhorn stake would be handy.maybe a conductor stake as well.I have 10 or so I gave a big $100 for..Blowhorn for cone shapes.Beakhorn for closing seams.A couple of bar folders for my folds..Pexto 622 deep throat for burring
My drawing was done on CAD and saved as jpeg..Submitting some other metal work I've done in the past.Hope it qualifies as sheet metal
Attached Thumbnails
rings_006.jpg  
Old 07-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricer
This is a photo of the furnace I built today. I have not finished it yet. The vent hole in the top is not completed. Its a little bit different, I have not put the slide door on the front. I will finish them soon.

Question: I have been asked if a pair of 6 lbs copper could be heated in the furnace I have built. I do not have a pair of 6 lbs. coppers so I have not tryed it. I think it produces enough heat but could use the advice???
Old 07-11-2005, 09:16 PM
ME

I think it would too, the coppers are only used because they store heat so well, the larger the copper the greater the capacity of stored heat, thus allowing a greater surface to be soldered.

There was a question awhile back “can you get a copper too hot”? And a book I just purchased and read through has a pretty good section on this and it say’s yes, too much heat oxidizes or burns the tinning off the point off the soldering copper.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:08 PM

Hi! I'm new to all of this. What does the inside of the furnace look like? Is there any special or is it just an open cylinder?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolpeddler
Hi! I'm new to all of this. What does the inside of the furnace look like? Is there any special or is it just an open cylinder?
Hello,

Welcome to the shop.

To answer your question, there is a heavy gage perferated plate in the bottom of the furnace. It holds the coals off the bottom on the furnace. I am working on alt. designs that would use more of a removable pan shape to prolong the life of the body of the furnace.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:53 PM

So the plate sits above the tray for the irons? Are there air holes in the very bottom of the furnace or is there enough air flow through the opening at the tray.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolpeddler
So the plate sits above the tray for the irons? Are there air holes in the very bottom of the furnace or is there enough air flow through the opening at the tray.

Thanks!
The opening for the irons seamed to create enough of a draft to keep the fire going. I used this furnace once before selling it and it was still hot enough to get the coppers right after 4 hours. I am researching old soldering fire pots now to find a good design. I am no reproductionist, I just want a fire pot that works well.

The plate that is in the furnace is very similar to the one that is pictured in Bud's furnace. It has many holes in the plate and it is raised off the bottom about an inch or so. The coppers sit on the coals. It seamed to work well. I am sure there are better designs out there and I hope to get more info on them and how they worked. I will hopefully build another soon and I hope I get to keep it. It seems like everything I have built lately has found a new home, I am just glad that people like my handy work. I made two flower pots today on my lunch break and they are gone, I have a order for ten more Saturday. I am getting lots of good practice!