The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Software

Sheet Metal Software Software discussion for the sheet metal industry.

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-09-2004, 08:53 AM

Default What Cad program do you use?

Thought it might be interesting to see what type of CAD programs everbody is using or prefers, which ones they've tried, if their company requires downloading capabilities, etc, etc.

I currently have taken an Autocad class Levels 1-4 (basic up to Solid modeling) and use Eastcoast Cad (formerly Quickpen). Our company is actually thinking of going to Cadduct. It is a Autocad 3rd party software and seems 100x's better than Eastcoast.

Any opinions?....
Old 09-09-2004, 03:43 PM

I have no opinion, but our company uses Cadduct too. Only have one advice, go visit a company that actually uses cadduct.
Cadduct is more then a drawing tool. You have to put all the code in for the production-line.
And not everything is possible. Our cadpeople can't "draw" special parts!!! We use another program for those.
If you have any questions about Cadduct/Camduct, drop me a line and I will ask our people for you.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:26 PM

Do you use cadduct from M.A.P. or the one from A.E.C.?
Old 09-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Professional Member

I use Opus it is from M.A.P. as well. I have been using it for years with success.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Professional Member

Default CAD

I have used CadDuct from MAPS for over a year now. Did complete set-up for CAD, shop standards etc. Very powerful program and MAPS is great to work with. If you have problems or request program changes they will accomodate you. We are always tweaking but are running seamlessly from CAD to CAM. Saves a lot of listing time and errors.
Tazman, if your cadpeople can't draw special parts they are not using the program to its fullest. Parts can be "drawn" in the PM2000 program or in AutoCad and exported as a .dxf and imported into the PM2000 program. Fairly simple procedure.
Between AutoCad and CadDuct Solids almost anything can be achieved.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:25 PM

Is true, totally all (well... almost all) can be done with the PM2000 program. But it's another program! Problem with that is that it again costs money. I am sure we don't use Cadduct to the fullest. But Cadduct isn't THAT great. I am often thinking that with PM2000 all will be done faster. Now the CADpeople draw in Cadduct, and the "impossible" parts in PM2000. PM2000 is on a different system, so they have to switch computersystems.
BUT!!! PM2000 has a luxury problem. It has too many parts in it. Some parts are too expensive to produce. (Time consuming)
For example: The production refuse to make a bend like a corkscrew. I still want to let one be produced, in a sneaky way. And see if they get angry at me.
Over here the people form Cadduct have to come over from the UK. What I heard is that those guys cost a fortune.
So... it's up to the CADpeople to tweak CADduct.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:51 PM

Yeah you all are using the "other" Cadduct program. We have 2 seats for the A.E.C. version of Cadduct. They also make Cadpipe which has been around awhile and has been a good program from what I understand. I like this version because it draws more like Autocad rather than very "cartoonish" like some problems I have seen. We had a lady working here for a couple of months that did use and recommended the M.A.P. Cadduct and its cutting software. So if anyone has used the AEC program let me know. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:15 AM
Professional Member

Quote:
BUT!!! PM2000 has a luxury problem. It has too many parts in it. Some parts are too expensive to produce. (Time consuming)
While this is true, it is up to individual shops to set up standards and only use those fittings that they can produce cost effectively. The unique fittings can be used in those special cases that require them, at least they are available.
Our shop had standards and a fitting book set up prior to starting to use CadDuct Solids. Our CAD people and the shop foreman sat down and filtered through the CadDuct fittings library to find the fittings that would match our standards book and then created our own library of fittings and duct that our CAD people are allowed to use while drafting and designing. This keeps the shop production rate up because after all is said and done we must remain competitive.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:21 AM
Professional Member

Guys,
Interesting conversation. I use Turbocad V9 probably for entirely different applications. I tried Prodesktop and Rhinocad but found better features in Tc.

Any other Turbocad users on board?

Glenn
Old 10-06-2004, 12:36 PM

I have never heard of East Coast or Cadduct.. Must be regional or for the bigger shops.. Over the years I have used many different Cad programs and stick with ACAD 2000 for now...

AS far as duct fitting programs and there intregated cad programs,,, the one that I currently use is Shop Data systems... I have used Lockformers software for there Vulcan systems.. PCM is also a program that came with Lockformer.. These were all run on OS2 systems and I found to be a major pain in the neck..

I have also used cybermations clunky junky software with the old version of quick draw.. What a dinosaur that system was!!! It ran on a Venux operating system!!! Aargh!!

All in all I like the System our company uses now but it does have its limitations... The main thing I like about is the ability to enter in a specific fitting,, then export the pattern via DXF to my Autocad program for manipulation.. The old systems this was not possible.... Technology is a wonderful thing when you have the work to support it... Hopefully this economy will pick up after this election...