The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Shaping

Sheet Metal Shaping Got a passion for shaping sheet metal? Open discussion on metal shaping here. Talk about tools, tips and techniques. (Please read rules before posting)

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-25-2015, 08:49 PM

Default Looking for ideas on a really tight bend

Hello! I'm wondering if anyone here might have some ideas. I'm making new sheet metal pieces for a Conion C-100F radio and I need to create some bends before applying the lettering. Problem is, they're only 1mm from the edge. It wouldn't be so bad if I was still using 28 gauge aluminum, but the closest the shop had was 26 gauge stainless.

I practiced on quite a few scrap pieces of similar length with a 12" pan and box brake, and it will work at 1.4mm, but not often enough to risk trying on my real parts. Most of the time it pops out as you bend it. If it did more than just pinch the part it might work better, but the rear adjustment doesn't go that low. 26 gauge is the thickest stainless it will handle, so I'm already pushing the limits. I can't afford to sacrifice any more of the edge to the bend because it won't align with the holes anymore.

I'm thinking maybe just clamping my parts between two blocks of steel and hammering over the edge with a third block. I'm skeptical of shimming the brake, I'm not sure anything could help with such a small amount of material.

Here's some visual aids...

Old 09-28-2015, 06:51 PM

Probably too late as the part is already made, but if you started with a larger piece of stock could you punch out the holes, put the bends into it and then cut it to size?

Milo
Old 10-01-2015, 01:14 AM

Thanks Milo. Yeah, having a little extra there to remove later should do the trick. I tried a few different things but the surface is affected too much.

More significantly though is the fact that the new piece's minimum bend radius is much larger than the original piece could achieve, so I only need about half of the bend. Bottom line, the very last sliver of the new piece should be bent as an arc, none of it can be flat if that edge is going to make the turn anywhere close to what the old piece did by the time it gets 1mm above the surface.

The parts only cost about $12 so not a bank breaker. Most of that cost is the number of cutouts the laser machine needs to do. The more I order the cheaper they get. I'll have a couple extra cut this time to be safe.