The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Software

Sheet Metal Software Software discussion for the sheet metal industry.

Share This Forum!  

Old 06-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Professional Member

Default CAD, an Exellent Tool for the Pattern Maker

I know I have said this more than once here at the shop but, I think it is very important to learn the forgotten art, I continue to learn each day. CAD is merely a tool used by the knowledge gotten from studying the forgotten art. I some times design parts and things at home in my spare time using CAD. Once these drawings are converted into DXF files and loaded on to a CD, I can transfer the drawing into the computer that operates my plasma table. From there the parts are produced in a short period of time.

I can do the same layout on a computer using CAD that would typically be done using the bench. The awl, strait edge and dividers are replaced with a mouse and monitor screen. It is an excellent tool for the pattern maker making us more productive. Knowing the Forgotten Art only makes CAD a more useful tool. Without CAD we would have a hard time showing and sharing or layout problems with many talented people all around the world.

Thank You,
The Following User Says Thank You to pricer For This Useful Post:
cactassdupree (04-09-2011)
Old 06-02-2004, 01:07 AM
Professional Member

How right you are Bud,

I have the plan of a wooden canoe that I wanted to share. I built the original when I was 13? The second I built a few years ago for my grandson. The plans are on an A0 sheet, so I have to reproduce them using CAD.

Lot easier doing an electronics transfer of a .dfx file to the USA than swim them over. (I'd fly but my arms get too tired).

Grue
Old 06-02-2004, 04:59 AM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grue
How right you are Bud,

I have the plan of a wooden canoe that I wanted to share. I built the original when I was 13? The second I built a few years ago for my grandson. The plans are on an A0 sheet, so I have to reproduce them using CAD.

Lot easier doing an electronics transfer of a .dfx file to the USA than swim them over. (I'd fly but my arms get too tired).

Grue
I did not know you were a boat builder, can wait to see the plans.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:39 PM

I just came from the library with a book on AutoCAD LT 2000. The company that produces AutoCAD www.autodesk.com sure puts out a lot of software, it looks like they have covered all the bases.

Leonard Whistler
Old 06-03-2004, 02:41 AM
Professional Member

Leonard,

Autocad is a very powerful package, and expensive.

I use Turbocad. This is a link to an older version of Turbocad you can download from
http://www.brothersoft.com/Multimedi...rial_3048.html
This version should be OK to use if you aren't already using a cad program.

Good to learn.

Grue
Old 06-03-2004, 04:04 PM

ok....thanks for the link Grue
Old 06-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Professional Member

I hope it is OK to say this but Delta Cad is perfect for the sheet metal pattern maker. I love it. I have AutoCAD and Turbo CAD and they seem so complicated to me. I will not post a link but there is a free demo at there site. I still have a demo version on my old computer and it still works fine. The purhase of it unlocks many features. Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:59 AM
ME

I have just went through the free down load at DeltaCadand it seams pretty easy to use. I as well have other cad programs such as AutoCad14 (historic) and I do have and use frequently TurboCad (the historical 6.0), all of these if you learn how to use them are excellent tools for the sheet metal layout especially for practicing your layout skills. "The Forgotten Art of Layout" is about learning methods, learning how to use projections, see and use true length lines. I started out on my kitchen table with a square piece of plywood and a tee square I then advanced and purchased a large commercial drafting table with the mechanical head, I was in heaven. Before many of us new what a computer was GE sold all these tables when they went to mainframe, technology I didn't know anything about. I had taken mechanical design at a local university and spent 50 percent of the time there on the board, drawing - erase -draw-erase. The other important area of study was descriptive geometry. Understanding how to see lines and how to determine the true length of this line was the focus. By using a simple cad program to study will help lighten the load when it comes to mistakes, at which time you can easily click on that line or arc and delete, instead of erasing and smudging. It is not taking from The Forgotten Art ways but enhancing them. You still need to put these skills to use on the bench and this may happen easier if you have an easier time learning in the first place by using a cad program.

I think it is important to note, that CAD programs don't take away from the skills that you will still need on the bench, they may just help you obtain the skill faster. You still need to know where to place the trammel points. I know enough on CAD to be dangerous and would like to learn more on 3D models and rendering drawings.

I aslo would like to say that the shop advanced with the latest technology has many advantages. This site is not about that, this site is about learning practical and some not so practical layout skills and fabrication techniques.Which should be learned by all, even those who work in the shops with the latest technology should have a thorough understanding in this.

Bud
Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 PM

This site may be the answer to my problem. I've made a few simple designs work, but I need to create a pattern for a frustum, and after searching online for info, I think I had the right idea. I found a site discussing radial lines, which sounds like what I was trying to do on poster board before trying it on copper sheet. The frustum should have a 48 inch circumference on one end,rising one foot to 8 inches circumference on the other end. I was told I could do this without complex mathematical calculations. After much trial and error its still not right. I have enough tools, I think including a straight edge and divider. I don't think the CAD program would help me as I know about as much about computers as I do complex math, or at least complex to me. Any help would surely be appreciated. Thanks, Charlie
Old 04-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Professional Member

Default frustum

Our you trying to make a cone, is that what a frustum is? Because if so, those are real easy.