The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Tinsmith Avenue

Tinsmith Avenue For those seeking knowledge on past techniques used by yesteryears tinsmiths. The history of Tinsmith goes back in time farther then this place can travel, but for those who want to explore, please share your findings here.

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 AM

Default Niagara Machine Color

I have several Niagara Superior Rotary Machines I'd like to clean and repaint. Pexto color has been discussed, but I've never seen Niagara brought up. Was Pexto more popular/available? Any info will be appreciated. John
Old 08-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Professional Member

Tinner john, I just purchased several gallons of macropoxy 646 fast cure epoxy and I want to call it Acrolon 218 urethane from S and W. I used it on a band saw I'm restoring, it is by far the best system of coatings I have ever used and will always use it from now on out. They don't give it away but it can be made any color you want and will outlast us I presume. It has to be sprayed at 7 to 9 mils wet and dries to about 5 mil. You can get a high gloss or medium, this pic does no justice.
The Following User Says Thank You to roofermarc For This Useful Post:
device (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 12:05 PM

In my neck of the woods (northwest PA... Erie) it seems that the Niagara machines come up more often. Im not sure if this is b/c the proximity to Buffalo (100 miles) where the plant was located or just my luck. The Niagara bar folder I have was painted several times (last was green) but it looks as if a light gray was the original color. I also have used the SW epoxy for some wood working machines and like it very much (perfer it over their industrical alkyd paints).

MILO
Old 09-01-2013, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the replies. I did a quick search for Macropoxy and found its a Sherwin-Williams product. I'm going to talk to my local rep and get more info, since I want to paint my other machines (brake, lockformer, shear etc. ) Planning to build a new shop and would like to make everything pretty. John
Old 09-02-2013, 04:57 AM
Professional Member

The macropoxy is just the base coat, it's a real nice product requiring mixing part a with part b, letting them sweat for up to 30 min depending on the weather. This stuff dries in 2 hrs and you can recoat in 4 hrs. depending on the weather. The Acrolon 218 is the finish coat and it is a beautiful high gloss finish, you cant go wrong with this stuff but it isn't a real user friendly product.They use this stuff on bridges and off shore platforms in a harsh salt water environment. It has a slight orange peel texture, just get with someone first before you spray as you can't (touch up) with the Urethane. I'm gonna be running this saw using a vfd and a 3 ph motor so I can have variable speed, with single ph 220 coming in.
The Following User Says Thank You to roofermarc For This Useful Post:
device (09-19-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 AM
ME

Nice saw, and shaper!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Nice saw, and shaper!
I agree. Roofermarc do you spend any time on the OWWM sites? Those machines (and restorations) would be right at home there.

John, if possible try to get a buisness account with the SW people. I think I was able to get a pretty good discount on some of my purchases by doing so.

Milo

Last edited by Milo; 09-18-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added to text
Old 09-18-2013, 06:34 PM

John, if possible try to get a buisness account with the SW people. I think I was able to get a pretty good discount on some of my purchases by doing so.

Milo[/QUOTE]

Already have an account. SW has good people and paint, caulk, etc. Much nicer to deal with than the Big Box stores