The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Tinsmith Avenue

Tinsmith Avenue For those seeking knowledge on past techniques used by yesteryears tinsmiths. The history of Tinsmith goes back in time farther then this place can travel, but for those who want to explore, please share your findings here.

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-15-2011, 01:11 PM

Default Assortment shop

I'm hoping someone on this forum can give me a good definition of an assortment shop. From some research I've done, I've learned that in the 1890s there were two dominant types of sheet metal shops -- furnace shops and assortment shops -- but I haven't learned much more. Can anyone here enlighten me? Thanks very much for your help
Old 08-17-2011, 08:22 PM

Default Assortment Shops

I believe that furnace shops dealt with heating and ductwork, while assortment shops dealt with the other styles of tinning, such as roofing, gutters, cornices, water cans, and all of those other items from yesteryear.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Piazza View Post
I believe that furnace shops dealt with heating and ductwork, while assortment shops dealt with the other styles of tinning, such as roofing, gutters, cornices, water cans, and all of those other items from yesteryear.
That sounds right. My grandfather started a plumbing business in 1917 and I remember my father telling me that they used to do roofing, including slate work, back then. I have a really dim memory of some bench tools in the shop, a crimper and probably a beader. My brothers and I got in deep trouble one day because we were having a great time running piles of what I'm guessing were straps for sections of pipe insulation through the crimper and whatever else was on that bench. By the time my father took over the business all of those tools were gone and he just focused on plumbing. Just one more subject I wish I could talk to him about!
The Following User Says Thank You to wmckane For This Useful Post:
cactassdupree (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Default Assortment shop

Aug 22 1910: Thanks everyone for the useful information. FYI I came across this in the NY Tribune for Aug. 22, 1910:

Assortment workers make tin pans, sauce pans and other kitchen utensils of tin which are sold in the stores throughout Greater New York