The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Tinsmith Avenue

Tinsmith Avenue For those seeking knowledge on past techniques used by yesteryears tinsmiths. The history of Tinsmith goes back in time farther then this place can travel, but for those who want to explore, please share your findings here.

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Professional Member

Default Cornice Forms

Anybody use the wood forms for the front of the brake for gutter & cornice work? I fabbed up a small one and have been playing around with it.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc00877_177_102.jpg   dsc00879_195_169.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Professional Member

Hey John,
We do cornice and og work on the brake alot, but never on a form. I have seen in these discussion rooms where folks have used them, But I've just always used small brakes depending on the radius.
What exactly are you trying to make? I may have a process to suggest. We have several layouts of cornices already available at our shop.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Professional Member

I want to make some conductors. the form I made is working good but I haven't developed a pattern yet. What process do you us? Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 PM

My 8' brake is from the 20's and I have 3 different forms for it, but have never used them. I was able to purchase the contents of my old boss's shop when he passed away. He was the second heating contractor to own that shop, so a lot of the grear is pretty old. I would definately like some info on the cornice brake myself!
Old 10-23-2009, 03:19 AM
Professional Member

Welcome to the site. I'm pretty new here myself. I worked in a shop with a set of original Chicago wood forms and you can make some nice stuff with them. I fabricated some small ones out of stainless, 1.25 rad and .625 rad. still haven't made a completed part yet, hard to get enough time all in a row. I would like to see a pic of that old brake.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_galt
I want to make some conductors. the form I made is working good but I haven't developed a pattern yet. What process do you us? Thanks for the reply.
basic parallel line development--It's just that easy:
Old 11-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Professional Member

Hey Hammer, I was ask'in about the process he used for forming the radius without the forms. Series of breaks I guess.I need to lay out some patts. to match the forms I have. I'm checked out on parallel line. Heres a corner from a project from a couple of years ago.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Professional Member

Default Holes in my leaf

Hello John, I bought a new 10' I think Roper about 20 years ago I think and had them drill the holes in the leaf for the hold down dogs for the forms to be used. They charged just $550 for it as they did not provide the model any longer for the forms. I only need the dogs now for it but can make them.
Since we used to use the wooden forms at a very old shop in the northeast I had learned to use them making cornice and other OG fabs. When the form was too time consuming and the project was small I just hand pulled the needed radius onto the piece and guided the roll by either pushing down harder than I pulled or vice versa or in between both pressure directions. I used a pattern for the profile to get it right so the corners would match.
I will make my own wooden forms out of round stock hardwood.
It's needed for long lengths of work to keep the roll uniform. I remember having spring back in the pieces and using a smaller form for the wanted radius. Wish I could find some dogs though to save me the hassle of heat treating them. Your form and trial piece looks great.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharpscriber For This Useful Post:
john_galt (03-23-2011), tinnerjohn (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Professional Member

Default Hi sharpscriber

And welcome to the site. I didn't heat treat the dogs I made and their working good. I can give you some dimensions if you need them. I've got a 8' and a 4' Chicago and both are set up for forms. I would like to make some wood forms for the 4 footer.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM
ME

Yes, welcome to the site. Thanks for joining us.