The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Tinsmith Avenue

Tinsmith Avenue For those seeking knowledge on past techniques used by yesteryears tinsmiths. The history of Tinsmith goes back in time farther then this place can travel, but for those who want to explore, please share your findings here.

Share This Forum!  

Old 06-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Default Information on small old shear

I have recently acquired and restored a small old tinsmith's squaring shear, and would like some information. It is missing it's badge, but based on a couple of larger shears I have seen, I think it is a Peck Stow and Wilcox. I have never seen another one this small, it has a 22 1/2" blade. All of the screws and bolts are iron instead of steel, and are British Standard Whitworth threads, which puts it pretty far back. I was wondering if anyone has a reference for this little shear, and can tell me a date of manufacture.
Attached Thumbnails
shear1.jpg   shear 2.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 05:22 AM
ME

Welcome to the forum. Nice shear! Did you look through this page in the library on squaring shears.

http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/pdf...1922_sectB.pdf
Old 06-10-2012, 06:38 AM

Default Information on small old shear

Thanks for the link. I see that Pexto did make a 22" shear in 1919 (in the 122B model). I am pretty sure mine is even earlier. Does anyone have a copy of the 1900 Peck Stow & Wilcox Company catalog reprint? Is there anything like my shear in there?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:16 PM

That shear looks great! Sorry i can't ID the maker, but I hope someone can, cause it looks like a little brother to my 30" shear my Dad bought used before I was born. (Over 50 yrs. ago). Funny thing is, my 7 year old grandson likes to ride the left pedal while I run the right one cutting S-Slip and Drive Blanks from scrap as much as I did at his age. Maybe a fourth generation tin knocker? John
Old 06-14-2012, 12:11 AM

Default Information on Small Old Shear

Thanks!
I have been able to identify it as a Peck Stow and Wilcox. I can tell from the 1915 catalog that mine is an earlier model than that. I suspect that it is from sometime between 1890 and 1900. I was hoping that someone might have the 1900 catalog reprint to confirm that...