The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Kinks

Kinks Share your tips and techniques here. The old timers used to refer this as KINKs. Thanks for sharing.

Share This Forum!  

Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 AM
Professional Member

Default Tool belt arrangements - what are your secrets tactics?

We haven't had a good thread in the KINKS section for awhile. Time to spice things up here. We could use a nice thread about something useful. I decided that tool belts are a good topic for me. A well organized tool belt keeps you on task and wasting minimal time fidgeting for just that right tool or fastener. Hope you guys all join in and add your two cents.

I personally like a tool belt with fixed-mount pockets. Preferably with a tape pouch in front for quick access to at least a 25-footer. I am right handed so I prefer my basic hand tools on this side. (Basic hand tools for me are my snips, a 20-ounce hammer, pencils and/or pens, a roof knife with both straight and hook blades, a glazing tool, a set of hand brakes, a tri-square, and a decent punch that can double as an awl.) My fasteners typically kept in easy reach of my left hand by occupying pockets in the left pouch. I may expand the belt in the future with a holster for my drill, but the current weight is already causing me headaches when it comes to keeping the britches up.

I use a four pocket right-side pouch and a five pocket left-side pouch. The largest pocket on the left pouch generally is filled with the most common fastener for the job. Since we do mostly architectural sheet metal this is generally one and a half-inch roofing nails or #10 screws with washers of similar length. My other pockets generally vary by job.

So what kind of tool belt are you using. It would help if you can describe a little bit about the typical situation you are in to give us a little insight as to why you do things that way. Maybe you found suspenders help you support the rig.. There are no wrong answers. God knows I can always use a tip or two when it comes to tool belt organization!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 AM
ME

it's been awhile since I wore a tool belt, I'll have to really think hard for what I used to carry and how in my pouch.

One thing I did do different at one time while I was working "new construction" stack and finished homes was I used to wear 2 hammer loops - being right handed, most of the time my hammer hung on my right side (about 4 o'clock) one day I got tired of trying to put the hammer in the loop with my left hand as my right hand was often holding something up, so I put on the second loop (left side) for a way to quickly store my hammer...

Worked wonderful
Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 PM

After eight years in the trade, I wore out my first tool belt. Actually I finished it a couple of years ago but managed to lace some holes back together with small rope. Just couldn't part with it, made alot of money with that tool belt But I could not find another one that I liked. I searched every where, ran across a company that designs tool belts for specific trades. They have a HVAC designed tool belt, but the picture was to small to make out. Settled on a framers pouch for now. On the left side got Red's & Green's, Flat head screwdriver, torpedo level, hand seamers, grimpers, hammer, screws, felt marker and pencil. On the right side tape measure, longer screws and pouch for the drill, and on the back some 15'' snips.
Jon
Old 01-31-2009, 07:37 AM
Professional Member

tinsmith,

What indelible traits did the original tool belt have?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM

Used this arrangement for installs for almost 30 years, and I have the lower back x-rays to prove it. Can't wear it anymore. Now I use a tool bag. At the end of the day, tools are scattered everywhere . Consider this as a warning to the younger trades people
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imgp0282_151.jpg (71.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg imgp0280_996.jpg (65.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 01-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Professional Member

I love the pouch in the lower picture! Too overloaded for my tastes, but there are a lot of pockets to isolate tools. I think my tri-square could even live in one of those loops. Always dropping the darn thing when it is in with the other tools.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 PM

MattM nothing special about the other tool belt just the basic leather carpenters tool belt. Tape pouch in the center. two pouches on each hip, the leather has a ever lasting glaze on it from wiping the last little bit of silicone off of the finger, when your in a pinch.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:54 PM

Dad, I hear you about the back problems. I have gone to see a reflexolgist a couple of times about the back pain. She said she has not seen anybody as "grossly deveiated" as me before. My hips have rolled forward so much from having all the weight from the tool belt. With this new belt I have shoulder straps to carry the weight. The pain seems to be less now.
Jon
Old 02-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Professional Member

sorry guys but i dont wear a tool belt ,they just seem to get in the way . i have ,although i havnt used it in anger for a few years a chrome leather welding jacket with the sleeves removed ,these and a leather apron were then cut and sewn on by my good lady to form pockets ,a bit like a poachers coat .when you get to the job the coat is hung up and hey-presto all the tools are on hand ,exept all the stuff you forget anyways ,even if it were in a tool box.

aw ra best Marky
Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 PM

tinsmith said: "With this new belt I have shoulder straps to carry the weight."
About 11 years ago, it was decided (doctor, physiotherapist, chiropractor) that I should throw the tool belt away, to try and save my lower back from any more torture.
I found it difficult to work without it, so I went to a shoulder strap system.
Should have quit while I was ahead. The shoulder straps just transfer the weight to your upper back. After a few years, the upper back is shot as well.
Sorry for the hijack MattM, but tool belts should come with warning labels. They are very useful, but you really have to watch how much weight you carry in them. I wish someone had warned me about this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:
ibintinknockin (12-14-2014)