The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Machinery Talk

Sheet Metal Machinery Talk
Discussion on Metal Fabrication Machinery including Q&A on maintenance and repairs. Plasma, Lock Formers, Brakes, ect.

Share This Forum!  

Old 10-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Professional Member

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 - 11:11 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Gladwin-Omaha. Slitters are excellent. Don't get me wrong, the shear is a huge improvement, but the slitter does things your shear cannot.

A new set of wheels isn't all that pricey. If they are rounded then get some new ones. They've earned the retirement I'm sure.

Matt, I can't remember using a slitter. What can it do that a shear can't? I think we used one in school, but that was a long time ago. Thanks dupree
Old 10-31-2009, 02:49 AM
Professional Member

You can cut coils that are way beyond the limits of the shear. Ever try cutting coil stock length-wise longer than the 10' shear is wide? The slitter cuts as long of pieces as you are prepared to feed/catch.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:55 AM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Blade
Sometimes have to cut up some 10 foot sheets of TPO stock.
Very hard on the slitters! The TPO is soft and gummy, the type of stuff that tears the wheels up because it binds them. You wouldn't probably think soft stuff would be hard on the slitter but the nominal thickness of the material is generally way beyond the normal sheet thicknesses. And the softer materials bind between the wheels and act like a hydraulic jack, separating the wheels apart. Not to mention the fibrous quality of some of those TPO materials; some of them have brittle strands of fiber of some type that really shed when you cut it. The shear is the better way to cut this stock.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM
You can cut coils that are way beyond the limits of the shear. Ever try cutting coil stock length-wise longer than the 10' shear is wide? The slitter cuts as long of pieces as you are prepared to feed/catch.
Thanks for the 411 MattM, We don't use anything over 10' unless it's what we use for valley metal or break (16"/ 12"). This longer metal, what do you use it for? Our shop is set up with a 10' & 8' break. dupree
Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Blade
Sometimes have to cut up some 10 foot sheets of TPO stock.
Very hard on the slitters! The TPO is soft and gummy, the type of stuff that tears the wheels up because it binds them. You wouldn't probably think soft stuff would be hard on the slitter but the nominal thickness of the material is generally way beyond the normal sheet thicknesses. And the softer materials bind between the wheels and act like a hydraulic jack, separating the wheels apart. Not to mention the fibrous quality of some of those TPO materials; some of them have brittle strands of fiber of some type that really shed when you cut it. The shear is the better way to cut this stock.
I have often thought that stuff wasn't that great on the slitter and it is also a real pain to feed thru since it slips alot and you really have to keep a force on the sheet. Will be good to get the shear, for our purposes it should be fine as we use 4x8 sheets for everything except the TPO which is in 10 foot sheets. Now to just locate a source close to North Bay to order some new wheels for the Wilder.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:51 PM

Was also thinking that it may be a challenge to order parts because the little plate with the model number is too worn and can only get the number 10741 which could be a serial number or something.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Professional Member

cactassdupree-

You can always reduce your larger coils down to stock that runs through your machines that take specific stock sizes like panel machines or gutter machines.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Professional Member

Default slitter

Ok Thanks, Now I get it. I wish I had gotten a Quad Plus a few years ago and a seamless gutter machine too. Working for yourself is the way to go. If you want to make the big buck$. You can make a living working for the boss-man but "he" get 2 or 3 vacations a year while his workers are making him the money. ttyl dupree Hope work keeps up for ALL You fellas!!