The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > A Tinners Porch

A Tinners Porch
Who knows what will come up in porch conversations.

Share This Forum!  

Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Professional Member

I tend to agree. I have in three situations had guys freeze up. Both were bad scenes so I`d never coax a guy into doing something he wasnt cool with. Where we work puts us under a saftey microscope. For me I fear grinders and cut off tools...hate the damn things! I was always afraid the blade would explode then finally one did leaving chunks in my forhead. So when I have to use one Its a big lecture toe self about everything being ok and not jinxing myself out of it. But if my mucky muck is scare then its fine no problem sweep the floor.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Professional Member

I had a roof jack give out once. Not fun, luckily saw the scaffolding and made the leap for it. It is not easy leaping while sliding and your life flashing before your eyes! The other guy on the other end of the board wasn't so lucky and hit after a 15' drop. He was okay, though, he had enough baby fat to break the fall. I would blame him for it breaking, but after looking at it the roofers only put two drywall screws in each and every roof jack. Luckily they were gone for the long weekend or someone would have got jacked in the mouth.

Before you risk using safety equipment, do a little inspection before relying on someone else to have set it up right. Sometimes those jackwads don't care about anyone else.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 PM

I hear that! I was on a plank loaded with slate and walked to the end to find it put in with 1 1/2" roofing nails. I pounced off, unloaded the plank, and slipped new brackets in with 16d. Then I went to the other side of the roof to yell at the morons who did it.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Professional Member

We had swing stages set up on an 8 story beachside condo for nearly two years and one day I jumped down into it from the roof deck...say about a 3 and a half foot drop and when I hit the stage my left leg went through the plywood to above my knee...scared the poop outta me. I remember looking up as I went down to make sure I'd hooked my harness...That same job we had the guys shift our cables and they fouled it up...same week actually....they left us short and as we lowered the stage we cut the 220 cable. My left hand popped back and I tore up the side of my nose but my partner got knocked to his knees. Then, there I was for a bit wondering how to do CPR 8 floors up...Thank god I didn't have to. He was ok you just can;'t be to safe I guess. Boy do I have stories from that crazy job....
Old 05-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Professional Member

Thumbs up Checking in

I started this thread a while ago and I finally have a diagnosis for my lung issue but no cause. Long story short lungs are shot. Interstitial Lung Fibrosis Idiopathic variety. Translation cause unknown. Lung biopsy didn't show the cause. My pulmonary guy seems pretty certain it is work related. I got my disability approved with little problem; sad thing is my doc said ZERO metal work. I still want to visit but it just makes me sad to see folks working. Also when I was looking for work last year I signed up for Helmets to Hard Hats for veterans and yesterday I got an e-mail that the Local in Sanford Florida 60 I think is taking aps. does me no good but for any vets out there... hope the rest of you all are well.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Professional Member

Very sorry to read your news but glad to see you back here.
The Following User Says Thank You to wmckane For This Useful Post:
rothalion (06-01-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Professional Member

Saddened to hear your situation, but I'm wondering if though repeated exposure to inhaling muriatic acid over the years in soldering galvanized iron, could be a cause? Or at the least would be considered detrimental to one's health!
The Following User Says Thank You to roofermarc For This Useful Post:
rothalion (06-01-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 03:05 PM

I am sure if you have been in the trade for a while we all have horror stories. It would be cool if we could find some research or techniques to help protect ourselves and still get the work done. Proven medical procedures for those already hurt and maybe some protection measures for the work place that help keep us safe and stay on schedule for the job. I can't imagine being an employer and dealing with all the liabilities and cost, but still make a profit.
The Following User Says Thank You to mouse53 For This Useful Post:
rothalion (06-01-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Professional Member

Default sad..

working with metal certainly has its hazards rather it be from simple as getting cut to the toxins that are realeased when welding

I has recently switched from 2 percent thoriated to lanthanated tungsten for my welding..
since there is an alternative to radiated tungsten i thought we should be usung it..
it welds the same!
The Following User Says Thank You to device For This Useful Post:
rothalion (06-01-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Professional Member

Default heavy metal poisoning.

Years ago, I suppose back in 1994-5, we had a helper who did the soldering of our galvalume and lead roof jacks. He was so good at it, that the boss left him there. Too long from what I heard. At a given point he began coughing up blood, and had to get serious medical care, and never did get back to soldering roof jacks. I heard he'd eventually left the shop.
Sad too, because he'd served as a sniper for the Rangers in the first gulf war. He was a good kid. I never did hear what happened to him after that.

It happens. We work with Muriatic Acid, Lead, Galvanized metal, and God knows what else.
Over-exposure will kill anyone if left in it long enough.