The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > A Tinners Porch

A Tinners Porch
Who knows what will come up in porch conversations.

Share This Forum!  

Old 12-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Professional Member

Unhappy

Health update: Had a second CT on my lungs Friday, and depending on the results still might be looking at a Biopsy to figure out what's causing my problem. Any way still not fixed and getting very frustrated.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Professional Member

Default Soldering stainless

Does anyone know if soldering stainless will leach out enough nickle to cause nickle allergy. Or if just handling 304 2B everyday all day can cause it. From what I've read the nickle is pretty tightly bound but welders are apparently getting sick from it.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Professional Member

Wink solder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothalion View Post
Does anyone know if soldering stainless will leach out enough nickle to cause nickle allergy. Or if just handling 304 2B everyday all day can cause it. From what I've read the nickle is pretty tightly bound but welders are apparently getting sick from it.
I don't know about the nickle, but i took a course in Lead Renovator. They are saying the feds are going to require a licensed person to check the buildings built before "78" i think. During class the instructor told me lead can best injested or inhaled. Heavy metal poisoning is no joke. He explained that they are finding out that some of the more violent peeps locked up in our prisons have heavy metal poison. Be careful tinners, wouldn't want any of ya'll comin up sic as you age. dupree
The Following User Says Thank You to cactassdupree For This Useful Post:
rothalion (12-06-2010)
Old 12-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactassdupree View Post
I don't know about the nickle, but i took a course in Lead Renovator. They are saying the feds are going to require a licensed person to check the buildings built before "78" i think. During class the instructor told me lead can best injested or inhaled. Heavy metal poisoning is no joke. He explained that they are finding out that some of the more violent peeps locked up in our prisons have heavy metal poison. Be careful tinners, wouldn't want any of ya'll comin up sic as you age. dupree
That's scary! All the handling and breathing we have done with lead....It seems as though sheet metal is considered a clean trade but....imagine the roofers get pitch masks and us.....
The Following User Says Thank You to rothalion For This Useful Post:
mouse53 (12-07-2010)
Old 12-07-2010, 02:51 AM

Default Heavy Metal Poisoning

I know they are finding more cases of Heavy Metal poisoning all the time, but that does not really help us older guys. No one to point the finger at for blame, as a traveler I worked for many employers. Just hope the younger guys take heed and protect themselves. Its is good people are posting information here, so we can learn. Thanks for the great site Bud.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Professional Member

Still in medical limbo...Seeing a Rhuematologist 1-5-11 due to a major pain attack on my leg joints, lung biopsy is on hold because this R.A. they say I might have can cause the lung stuff.

Yea I guess us older folks are out of luck. All I know is that after seeing my CT scans the other day and the damage in my lungs anyone who risks their lungs or their kids or loved ones lungs is nuts.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:27 AM

I used to tear off asbestos roofs and siding wearing shorts, sneakers, and a pouch. Between that, the pitch tar roofs, lead, acids, and countless hours of sunlight, I can't see any reason for me to quit smoking. I hate my harness, hardhat, and safety glasses. I would torch rubber roofs with no gloves and a pair of Chuck Taylors because I could do a good job comfortably. For me, there is no reason to live a really long, really healthy, and really miserable life.

But that's just me and I've been told I'm a little nuts.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Professional Member

Red face

I would have worried more for my chuckies! Yea we used to do what ever it took to get a job done too. I'm not whining just saying that hey with a bit of care we could do all the really unhealthy tasks you mention for a bit longer....Face it we are all breaking down. what's the old line...I can carry two rolls of cap up a steep ladder, one on each shoulder... sort of a thing...then some guy goes hey get a Smith Hoist!

Anyway biopsy in two weeks so we will see....
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 PM

I never lay into anyone for going to whatever ends they need to feel and be safe on the job. I'm the guy who turns to his apprentice while hauling himself up a roof, hooking nails with a slate ripper in each hand and says, "Don't ever let me see you do this and don't tell my wife you saw me doing this." I know the things I do are stupid sometimes but I believe it's my decision to make on my behalf. I do things a lot differently when other people's safety is in my hands. I've been smoking outside since my wife got pregnant 11 years ago.
We should all hope for the best for each other and good luck with the biopsy.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Professional Member

Wink Safety

i tell the peeps i work with (train) to: "Don't do anything you don't feel safe about doing". If you feel comfortable hanging from a shingle ripper it's OK with me. If you get scared 10 stories up ten feet back from a wall, get down ad stay off it. I find that a little doubt in something carries some kind of magic or something like it. Maybe you jinks yourself. I rarely tie off but I have before cause 1 little mistake or something under you gives way and it can be a long way down. The long way down doesn't hurt but that sudden stop at the end is a bitch! Be SAFE !! dupree