The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Finishing Metal

Finishing Metal Open discussion on finishing sheet metal products. Feel free to share knowledge of a metal finishing products and or your own proven formulas.

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-16-2006, 08:36 PM

doin good bud, been very busy, working hard, been running the shop now, since price started his own thing...I must say bud, you remember when I first started this trade, and now i'm running a shop, well i'm not saying that to boast or anything, but am saying that b/c now i'm so bored with building ductwork...is that bad? I really like custum jobs of some sort...something that needs a new design is what turns my brain on....I'm loving tricky stuff......maybe price was to good of a teacher, and I learned to fast, (not saying that I know It all) maybe thats why i'm bored with it, don't know, but I'm still hackin way!!! good hearin from ya
Old 08-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Professional Member

[quote="pricerjr"]doin good bud, been very busy, working hard, been running the shop now, since price started his own thing...I must say bud, you remember when I first started this trade, and now i
Old 08-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Professional Member

Hey Pricer,
There are two old means of prepping Galvanized for painting.
1- Watered down muraitic acid. And I do not know what the ratio of acid to water is. But it is imperative to mix it. Otherwise the acid will remove the zinc coating entirely; thus removing the protection from rust that zinc coating offers.
2- Vinegar. While basic, it is still an acidic-- acetic acid-- compound. In all my years watching painters prep galv. metal, most have used vinegar.
Since it's been years since I've actually worked in the trade, I'm sure that as technology has progressed, so have the options for prepping metal. It's a cost issue.
A gallon of plain vinegar costs less than a dollar, and goes quite a ways. It just stinks.
A gallon of Muriatic acid costs about 2-5 dollars, and with mixing, it should go even farther than the vinegar. buying a jug of metal prep by Jasco would cost a whole lot more, and not go anywhere as near as far.
Good to see you're still haging out.
Best,
SteveB.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Professional Member

Hey Pricer,
There are two old means of prepping Galvanized for painting.
1- Watered down muraitic acid. And I do not know what the ratio of acid to water is. But it is imperative to mix it. Otherwise the acid will remove the zinc coating entirely; thus removing the protection from rust that zinc coating offers.
2- Vinegar. While basic, it is still an acidic-- acetic acid-- compound. In all my years watching painters prep galv. metal, most have used vinegar.
Since it's been years since I've actually worked in the trade, I'm sure that as technology has progressed, so have the options for prepping metal. It's a cost issue.
A gallon of plain vinegar costs less than a dollar, and goes quite a ways. It just stinks.
A gallon of Muriatic acid costs about 2-5 dollars, and with mixing, it should go even farther than the vinegar. buying a jug of metal prep by Jasco would cost a whole lot more, and not go anywhere as near as far.
Good to see you're still hanging out.
Best,
SteveB.