The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Metal Roofs

Metal Roofs
Discussion forum and information on Metal Roofs.

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 PM

Default Tiny copper roof

Put together this tiny copper roof together today with a friend from work. Sweeps on all the up stands, lap siding will cover the flat part of the seam and notch around the remaining stand. No solder!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kurtis For This Useful Post:
Bud (09-29-2014), MattM (10-13-2014), Milo (09-30-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 03:38 PM

Very nice!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:49 PM
Professional Member

I have questions about the counter flashing, starter, and laps on the ribs.

Is it slate siding or some other long term siding solution? (Because I generally expect a relief to fix bad panels if the roof gets damaged.) Do you anticipate how to repair a gouge in a panel without removing siding?

The starter cleat at the bottom looks two piece. It looks like a cleat under the starter cleat. Why no kick out on the bottom for moisture? Do you have a moisture barrier to prevent syphoning back behind it? Or is it an open hemmed drop in cleat underneath?

And the laps look perhaps pan folded prior to double locking - rather than cut. Am I seeing it correctly? I like that, but know the material thicknesses get crazy quickly. Can I assume it's 16 ounce copper?
Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 AM

The front edge is just a standard drip edge with the pans hemmed over. The siding for this is hardi. The siding is the counter flashing for this. This is no different than running step under lap siding going up a dormer cheek. IfThere wAs ever damage to a pan, remove the siding as
Needed to expose the upstand and remove the pan with seam opening pliers or cut it square and turn a new leg. I'm not sure what you mean by pan folded: we form the pans by hand. No break: just tongs and shaping anvils.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 AM

Alright, the siding material on this one is hardi. It acts as the counter flashing. The paper will be cut and lapped on top and taped prior to siding install to clean out any condensation.

The pans can be taken apart with any seam opening pliers if a repair is needed
But they would have to remove a few Courses of siding which we do all the time for wall flashing.

The front edge is a regular drip edge with a single lock, standard procedure. I can make the seams finish out as low as 5/8" which helps somtimes when you need more lap on the finish material for the upstand.

The pans and fillets are all patterned out before folding. Parallel line development. We form them on site with tongs and anvils. No break needed.

A pocket fold and two turns produces a 4-layer seam to fold over on the last turn. I've done it with 16oz and 20, and zinc. You have to use the right anvils and hammer to get a good sweep. Curved
Scraper and a stretching or grooving hammer.

We have found it to be quicker and a
Better finish than soldering upstands.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:19 AM
Professional Member

Pan folding is creating a bend in a straight panel with relief folds in the ribs. The ribs are the vertical members of your panels that when placed together, tied in with clips to hold the panel off the roof and double locked together, create a stiffened support for the roof.

I'm nor familiar with hardi. I'll have to google it.

I guess your drip edge kick out - the kink out - isn't visible. Water coming down the face will siphon back up behind up to four inches. It only gets worse in the winter time with thaw water IMHO.

I prefer starter pieces to be formed to act as the drip edge and/or fascia. But I also prefer a leaf back up onto the roof that acts as both a moisture guard sticking point and a bottom cleat for the roof panels all in one piece. A cleat to hold the bottom of the starter hides the fasteners. Ring shank nails or screws at the top of the leaf give the starter a sturdy form. I just prefer fasteners hidden.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:49 AM

500 plus years of traditional roofing knowledge is wrong i guess
Old 10-16-2014, 04:34 AM
Professional Member

I'm guessing hardi plank or fiber cement board is the siding. Color me purple, but something tells me it wasn't around five centuries. It's modern times, we adapt with science.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattM For This Useful Post:
Bud (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 04:55 AM

I'm not talking about the siding. Clearly that is modern, as is the tyvek and the sob deck etc etc. the method of construction for the upstands and seam assembly are traditional.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:22 AM
Professional Member

Yep, no argument there.