The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Metal Roofs

Metal Roofs
Discussion forum and information on Metal Roofs.

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 PM

I know I'm late to the party but I made a little model...

Pocket folds on the upstand, seamed in. There is a small eye at the seam end but otherwise bulletproof
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-19-2013, 01:41 PM

Another shot of the seam patterns
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Kurtis For This Useful Post:
roofermarc (10-05-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 06:02 AM
Professional Member

I had already cut both roofs and was gonna do something else and that's why it looked like it did when I added onto it. Painted 24 ain't copper to work with, it's junk. It also scratches up and your hand seamers hardly grip it and you can't peen it with a hammer to well either. It's a sob just to lock it to drip edge and takes hrs. I have told most people in the past I won't fool with it on something like this. And then they don't even have a touch up paint.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Professional Member

They get away with higher carbon content in the painted steel, which is why it's stiffer and less malleable than comparable galvanized. With the compound nature of the curves, it's just going to be problematic. And the way your metal is not backed by material it's only one basketball strike from a major deformation. I don't so much worry about that stuff as much as I do about moisture. It is what it is and obviously the carpenter decided not to give you the form to work on. If he had it would have been a cinch to hammer into shape.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Professional Member

How did it turn out?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:09 AM
Professional Member

The framer asked me if I wanted these framed, I told him "no" looking back I should have had him frame them. What would have been his design? I would have had to tear out his wood more than than likely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roofermarc For This Useful Post:
Bud (11-26-2013), MattM (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Professional Member

That's interesting shade. I gather this is the afternoon and this is the northeast corner. There is going to be a warm side and a cold side. Should be interesting. If this is a morning shot it makes it the southwest corner and it will be less interesting, which is a good thing.

What kind of flat roof is under the window? It's hard to see the detail, but it almost looks like a double locking seam at the edge of the top of each panel. My guess would be a one piece cap with a lip under the EIFS. That would have been pretty sharp to have that little ledge all the way along the corner. Did you create it to keep your arcs identical?

Last edited by MattM; 11-27-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Professional Member

The flat sections were framed as such and I was told to make and install two roofs as to my liking, height and width not important to the home owner as he contracted his own house with a project manager he hired to oversee the project. He and his wife both seem to like these roofs and the pic was taken at the north east corner and a focal point as you come down the road. I installed some peel and stick membrane under these roofs and am totally relying on caulking for water tightness. I had a small leak on the bronze chimney flashing already (due to my helper missing caulking a seam) so the owner is a little worried as to if perhaps if we missed something else. You can do perfect work but once you have a leak that's all that is reported. All the windows are recessed and only a tape and stucco are keeping out moisure, I tried (hoped) to sell them ss/ss pans for those.