The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Finishing Metal

Finishing Metal Open discussion on finishing sheet metal products. Feel free to share knowledge of a metal finishing products and or your own proven formulas.

Share This Forum!  

Old 12-14-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Stainless Graining

Does anyone have any advice For matching a #3 stainless finish. What kind of tools are you using? What kind of consumables or blending wheels do you use? Is there a certain technique? I've been asked to do alot more stainless countertops lately and kinda mudle my way through. I know there are some tricks, but they are very hard to find. Thanks for the help and this awsome website!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Professional Member

Default Stainless Graining

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt
Does anyone have any advice For matching a #3 stainless finish. What kind of tools are you using? What kind of consumables or blending wheels do you use? Is there a certain technique? I've been asked to do alot more stainless countertops lately and kinda mudle my way through. I know there are some tricks, but they are very hard to find. Thanks for the help and this awsome website!
i am not familiar with number 3 finish..
um 2,4 and 8 are all i have ever seen..
smokey, grained and , mirror respective..
ly
Old 02-27-2009, 07:12 AM

I assume No.3 is just a bit heavier grain than No.4. Once you have got the weld back flush I use those 3m scotchbrite discs in the circular grinder to get the scratches out from the sanding discs. Then finish off with scotchbrite wheels in the straight grinder. Then hand blend with a pad.

One place I worked at used those wheels where you paint a red fixer on and roll them in grit. Then bake them in an oven. I found those too course, but it may be better for No.3 finish.

Mirror, now there's an art. I've got some car trims comming up that need some welding on them so fingers crossed that they come out all right.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:31 AM

I think #3 would be ok if you want to produce shadow-free surface quickly and easily.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:57 PM

We always ground the weld flat then started with a brown 3m dynabraid drum then moved to a red and finally used a gray hand pad to blend also use long smooth strokes and take your time I seen some counter tops end up warped and ruined from someone trying to get the job done to fast
Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM

i start by grinding flat with a new 100 or 120grit 3m or walter grinding disc, then i use soft pads which velcro onto a flat soft grinder attachment (variable speed set to lowest speed)and then start with a 180, then a 220, (and depending on how my final grain is to appear) i may go over with a 400, replacing the softpads frequently because as soon as they lose there grit they will heat the stainless too much and cause warpage. after that i use the red scotchbrite by hand and grain in a straight line( if im doing a large countertop spice i would use a guide to get a perfect straight grain)because this is where every little scratch counts
for doing outside corners 3m reps accually came to our shop and gave us these scotchbrite grey wheels that can attach to a grinder they are 6"x1" and you need a variable speed angle grinder set to the lowest speed with no gaurd attachment on, these wheels increased our prodution time on cleaning corner weld and also decreased the amount of consumables we used for cleaning/polishing. they are abrasive enough to smooth out the weld flat when putting pressure on it and sutle enough to put a fine grain on when using little pressure. the edge of the wheel (1'') is flat when they are new but forms a small groove after cleaning a few corners which works to your advantage. so i have 2, one for corners that is grooved for corners and one thats flat that i only use on flat surfaces, although i found on flat surface the wheel doesnt match the #4 grain very well (we use #4 for everything) but then again i think its impossible to 100% match a factory grain, we can blend till no one can notice and our hands bleed but in the end unless you blend the entire peice your gonna have to cut your losses somewhere

we accually took an old 2' wide wood planer and modified it to fit a 2' wide scotchbrite belt, it is absolultey awsome we grain all of our stock stainless tubing, flatbar, any finished ss peice that are small enuf to fit in the planer and it puts on a grain that is so close to factory because thats how factory grain is made (just larger scale)

Last edited by stainlessdreams; 02-22-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: missing word