The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > A Tinners Porch

A Tinners Porch
Who knows what will come up in porch conversations.

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-19-2005, 07:27 PM

Default What accounting system do you use?

What type of accounting / project management / job costing programs does everbody use here?
I've been using quickbooks but think I've out grown it. Now I'm looking for something new & was wondering if anyone has one that is specific to sheet metal or at least HVAC. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:23 PM

Quick-Books Pro. I posted this on the Snips Bulletin board but management has since deleted all posts. You can do any thing you want in Quick-Books Pro. I do my estimating in Quote Software. Both are exportable to Excel. In QB you can do billing, Statements, etc. Time tracking is where QB shines. At the beginning of every major job we assign a new account to that job. One for income and one for disbursements. We then track our pay roll per employee by what time they spent on any particular job and assign to that employee. This information is invaluable when it comes time to bid on a similar project. For the $200.00 dollars they get for QB. I feel itís the best bargain on the market. There is with out doubt a learning curve with QB but itís worth it. Once you get it down pat you will fly. Drop me an e-mail if you need to now more. Bob
Old 08-21-2005, 08:17 AM

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/commerc...00000007975003
Old 08-24-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Quickbooks & Quote Software

Thanks for the input Bob...

I also currently use Quote Software for my estimating. It's the Pro version (they're now calling it LT) I haven't figured how to link it with quickbooks though. I mean I manually enter the estimate into quickbooks now. For the quickbooks I use Contractor edition 2003.

We do mostly commercial jobs that require progress billing as well as retainage. The quickbooks I'm using now doesn't seem to handle retainage very well. Quickbooks also doesn't conform very well to AIA billing when doing change orders. Maybe there's something I'm missing or haven't figured in customizing.
:?:
Old 08-25-2005, 05:05 AM

You would be better off getting a separate AIA tracking software that is exportable to Excel. I donít try to make these programs talk to each other. Itís easier to just bring them all into a spreadsheet. For accounting proposes you would better off upgrading your QB to 2005 version. Taking one of those QB mini courses the company puts on is a good idea. Make sure that you write down all the queations you wan't to ask befor attending. Bob