The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Kinks

Kinks Share your tips and techniques here. The old timers used to refer this as KINKs. Thanks for sharing.

Share This Forum!  

Old 02-25-2011, 04:45 AM
Professional Member
Default Rollation

How many of you have ever heard of the layout technique called rollation. When I first started at our shop, I saw some half circle patterns on the wall. One of the journeyman told me they were rollation patterns. Then he explained how they work. Seemed kinda funny as I had never heard of it before. But it does make sense. Anyhow, I found this on a metal shaping website. You might find it interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
rollation1.jpg   rollation2.jpg   rollation3.jpg   rollation4.jpg   rollation5.jpg  

rollation6.jpg   rollation7.jpg   rollation8.jpg   rollation9.jpg  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to striker12300 For This Useful Post:
Bud (02-26-2011), cactassdupree (01-05-2012), martyg (12-04-2017), Stickman (02-25-2011), tinman97030 (01-04-2012)
Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 AM

It was interesting....thx for sharing
Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 AM

That looks interesting. Did a quick search online, not too much on it. Found a book that will explain it all, but no rollation tools. I did find mention of it in a Popular Mechanics mag from 1962, and a guy who had written in to Snips magazine about ten years ago looking for one. Wouldn't mind finding one though.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Default pattern tool

We had a version of that tool in our shop, I think it was called "the Jet Pattern Developer" None of us knew where it came from or how it was supposed to work, so it sat on the shelf for years. In the garbage now, as far as I know.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM

Really cool, I can just grasp a little of what is happening. Would be a lot of fun to play with. thanks so much for bringing it forward.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Professional Member
Thumbs up

Oh. I was actually taught to make square to rounds that way. We didn't have the 'tool' but we cheated it I guess. Then before I learned how to lat out cones properly I exterporlated (sp) the square to round method and used it for cones. Never knew it had a name. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Default Roll patterns

I too have seen it done by the old codgers back then (which is me now) and i too was amazed thinking i could never do was very quick in mark out time and a great head start to knockup.when i disgusted this with the foreman he said he only used this method for small to medium,standard on centre work and i talk to much and should go and do something...
Old 07-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Professional Member

That reminds me of a morning I walked into the shop and there were these giant stainless steel square to round rollation patterns scattered about; some one had been busy in the night. I'd say the smallest was 24" tall and went from 36" square to 20" round on center. They were completely floppy, and needless to say useless for rollation. After a while the boss comes in and says, "Hey ah think you can maybe make us some square to rounds this cheatin' method doesn't seem to be working out so well." so we buried the rollation bodies in the scrap pile and started over laying them out long hand.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 PM

The guy who invented the Jet had designed this right before when the plasma came out! If he was 5-10 years earlier he would had made a fortune !
Old 10-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Default DH Heating Co

I just got some tools from my old boss and there was a Jet Pattern Developer in one of the boxes.
Not quite sure how to work it yet, i have made square to rounds the by making a round piece of metal and square metal with all thread in between all at the size and length that was needed.
i have the two tools i don't know what goes between then there is a rod butt ti does not fit in the tool, i suppose you could use stock that would fit the tool and
cut to the desired length's.