The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Machinery Talk

Sheet Metal Machinery Talk
Discussion on Metal Fabrication Machinery including Q&A on maintenance and repairs. Plasma, Lock Formers, Brakes, ect.

Share This Forum!  

Old 01-30-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Who makes Jet??

Hi all, need some more advise. i need to buy a 4' box and pan brake and was wondering if jet makes a quality unit or not .i think i know the answer alreadybut want your oppinion.here in south dakota we don't have a whole lot of choice of units. the jet is only 170. cheaper than the tennsmith, which would offset shipping costs,really only need a used one at this time, but there just not around here. help! thanks....... :?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:06 AM
ME

Ok, maybe my answering this question may seem biased? Tennsmith of course, not only because they sponsor the very same site you ask the question on and helped tremendously pay a big part of the bill, so we can continue too get smarter! (You canít buy these books for the 170.00) I say,Ē Support those, who support us!Ē Please.

Brad Smithsí main concern two years ago was, that the site would continue to help the industry. The second year they didnít hesitate one moment to sponsor the site again. Tennsmith was there when we needed them?

I have written to many manufactures with out so much as ďNo thank you.Ē To this day, only a few manufacturers have shown interest in TheSheetMetalShop.Com. Jet was not one of them.

I donít know if Jet is a quality brake, never used one?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:56 AM

The decision should not be one of finances but quality and value for what youíre paying for. Tennsmith is made in Tennessee. Jet, well letís just say their main stay isnít steak and potatoes. Support the home team! The job you save could be yours.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:28 AM

thanks for the info bud, didn't know tennsmith helps sponsor this awesome site, that alone made my decision to go for the one i really want. i knew better, i really did. just needed someone to set me straight. thanks again!
Old 01-30-2005, 11:43 AM
ME

Good choice! We had faith in you and now that you decided on "Buying American" you can workandfish and know you did your part

Take care my Friend!
Old 06-11-2005, 12:23 AM

Jet sheet metal equipment is just another in a virtual plethora of equipment that is manufactured in the Orient, often at the same factory(s) and shipped to the US under different labels such as Birmingham, Metalex, Central Machinery, et al. It is generally inferior in workmanship to comparable domestic products and is usually priced accordingly. Historically, they may hold up in a few-hours-a-week application, but in a busy shop they have proved to wear out pretty quickly. Getting replacement parts, when needed, can also be a lesson in frustration because few distributors keep any parts in stock and everything has to be shipped from China, Taiwan, etc which is normally at least a 6-8 week wait.

Bill / FabTool
Old 06-22-2005, 03:58 PM

in case you're interested.. I bought Tennsmith...and when I finally get to it, I'll probably go w/Flagler. I firmly believe in supporting them who support "us"..although at this point I'm probably a wannabe "us".