The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Machinery Talk

Sheet Metal Machinery Talk
Discussion on Metal Fabrication Machinery including Q&A on maintenance and repairs. Plasma, Lock Formers, Brakes, ect.

Share This Forum!  

Old 06-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Default pitts problem

this is what happens with my 20 lockformer pittsburg machine, first the problem is not as noticable on a long unnotched section except for on first and last 2 or 3 inches, but when theres a notch in the lock it looks like hell. i have tried everything and nothing chanes it. this is a sheared stock not hand cut. my small morlin pitts doesnt do this
Attached Thumbnails
dodge_016_188_859.jpg  
Old 06-10-2008, 07:42 PM
ME

What does the other side look like? Where is the extra width being taken from...is the inside of the lock still retain the same measurement - or do you loose some width in the fitting?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:19 PM

i will take a pic of the back and post it . if your referring to the hammer over edge it is about 1/4 all threw the run except 3/8 at the very begining and end. also at a notch it does it again
Attached Thumbnails
dodge_011_790_135.jpg  
Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Professional Member

I have this problem with 24 Ga. Stainless steel. My hammer over edge will run even up until it hits the last notch or about 5in. from the end. Is your discrepiancy at the start or finish. I tore my machine down last week to try and cure this but had no luck. I think the notch some how lets the rollers suck in a bit more stock as the notch passes by because there is not enough material in the rollers to hold the work straight... but I truely do not know why, Also It is is always for me anyway the final notch. The wrinkles you have to the right of the notch may mean your roller pressure is too tight. I'm an idiot with this stuff so....also I cut very skinny notches that seems to help.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:58 AM

heres the flip side, what the heck is wrong, this machine doesnt look like it has much use on it.
Attached Thumbnails
lock_004_473_114.jpg  
Old 06-13-2008, 07:23 AM

Drizz,

Is your opening roll in good shape? Does it still have the spring on top of it?
Does the material pull itself away from the entrance gauge while running it through?

Is this a 20 GA Lockformer? What gauge of material are you running?

It looks like you may need to tighten the holddown bolts about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. The material is not being held tight enough during the forming process and is wandering.
The material can be wavy from being too loose or too tight. You just have to find the right amount of downforce.

Chad.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 PM

yes its a 20 ga pitts one side ,pipe lock on the other, opening wheel is in good shape,no spring on it though, im running 26 ga galvy, i have treid the hold down bolts and it makes no differance tight or loose. i am baffeled and out good money on this machine, i wonder if the guy i bought it from knew. i have adjusted it so it takes metal in nice and even lock one end to the other when there is no notch.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Professional Member

Do your hold down bolts have spring washers? They look like cupped flat washers. They aid in the proper hold down preasure. We had a tooth missing in one of our gears about a year ago. I brought up Lockformer on the net and was able to order the part off an exploded view. They had an 800 # too. Good luck!