The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Machinery Talk

Sheet Metal Machinery Talk
Discussion on Metal Fabrication Machinery including Q&A on maintenance and repairs. Plasma, Lock Formers, Brakes, ect.

Share This Forum!  

Old 04-17-2008, 05:28 PM

Default Ineed someone to help me to find info. about an apron brake

sI just bought a used apron brake along with anotherone I needed, one of them I'll need to sell, I don't know any info. about the second one, I've got some pictures of it, I need someone to take a look at the photos to see if is possible to identify it, so I can find specs on it, . If smeone can help; please let me know and I'll e-mail the photos to have you take a look at them, any info or contact wiil help, my e-mail address is cacle70@yahoo.com in case you dont want your e-mail to be displayed
I've been lookig for a while and found nothing. Please HEEELP!
Attached Thumbnails
fotos_dobladora_005_957_162.jpg  
Old 04-17-2008, 05:30 PM

This is one of ten photos, let me know if I need to show more
Old 04-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Professional Member

This is a Roper Whitney hand brake. We have this in the 10' model. Of course since we went to an Autobrake 2000 this one gets used very little. It's a damn fine brake, though. Weighs about 3200 pounds if memory serves me correctly.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Professional Member

I'm pretty sure its a Roper-Whitney "Connecticut" Model 1016, but all the ones I see on Google only have the round throw weights. (10 of the 1016 = 10'; an 8' Model is an 816, a 12' model a 1216, etc.) The weights on this one should be square, correct? What makes this baby nice is that it has easy adjustments for depths (you can set the blade offset for thicker materials, the locking depth can be set for squeezing down hems), all 3 dimensions can be set for getting it lined up even when you have a crappy floor, and it should have come with blade extensions for doing several sizes of ogees. The blade offset is important for thick material or damage to the upper blade could happen; the offset gives the material enough room between the upper and lower blades.

There is also another blade extension for working with heavier material, its an "L"-shaped bar. The blade extensions mount on the face of the lower beam in those little holes. The little hook-shaped pieces about 2" long go in the holes and we use wood in between the hooks and the blade extensions. You use 1-by pieces of wood to shim the hooks plush with the blade extension; it keeps the tension on the blade extension and gives you a breaking point so the extensions don't get broken when you are bending heavy materials. If you don't shim them they are difficult to remove. We use a wood mallet for this duty.

There is a short wrench that comes with it for adjusting the blade depth. Use a soft wood or rubber mallet with it so you don't damage the threads on the spindles when you move them to set the blade depth. Lock down the blade, use the wrench to loosen the nut above the spindle, open the blade, turn the spindle to the depth you want (1/2 turn = approx. 1/8" if memory serves me right), then lock it down and tighten the bolt back down. Even though the brake is rated for 12 gauge its next to impossible to bend 10' lengths of 16 gauge in it with two men. We've bore down hard enough to do the 18 gauge a few times, but 16 gauge is definitely out of the picture for all practical purposes.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Professional Member

Well I took a look at our brake. Definitely is a Roper Whitney. This is a model ##14 with ## being the length of the blade; we have the 1014. Looks like the ##16 is the one with rounded weights. The ##14 models have the square weights. And its closer to 3800 pounds for the 1014. Our older 816 is what weighed 3200 pounds. And it is only rated for 14 gauge. Guess that's why the 14 in the model number.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the input, now I know what I got, even contacted Roper whitney and they are getting me some specs and some parts I needed for it, You really got me out of the dark
Old 04-26-2008, 03:54 AM

Valley Sheetmetal has a brake similar to this with a hydralic foot pedal that bends 45deg. and 90deg also 135deg. They are located in South San Francisco, California. I believe the shop foremans name is Al Divida, he might be able to tell you something.