The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Machinery Talk

Sheet Metal Machinery Talk
Discussion on Metal Fabrication Machinery including Q&A on maintenance and repairs. Plasma, Lock Formers, Brakes, ect.

Share This Forum!  

Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Default Faulty Equipment

Hi! I'm Having problems with a few machines and I would Appreciate some input please. I have a Roto-Die hydrolic brake that is under bending in the center on a 10' brake. Is there an adjustment I can make? Second, how do you square an Allsteel Power shear and is the lubricating oil just regular oil? I would appreciate any help at all thanks.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Professional Member

Check the base of your Roto-Die for adjustments. It is very easy for a small lean in the floor to cause the ends to be out of camber and this allows the middle to get tweaked. The hydraulic brake we had twenty years ago did not adjust the main guide for an accurate plane anywhere but in the base of the unit. But I'm not familiar with that particular piece of equipment so this probably is no help.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:53 PM

What you need to check is if your upper punch in worn in the middle. Over time these punches will get worn if the majority of the bending is in a certain area. You have 2 options.
First being have your upper punch reground by a machine or grinding shop.
Second, you can shim the upper tooling. Place the shims on the shoulder of the punch NOT in the upper groove. This will help to achieve your proper bend all along the length of the machine.
Good Luck.

Chad
Old 03-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Professional Member

What you are getting is called deflection. When you bend on most down acting press brakes this occurs depending on the material, bend, and bend length. Chad is right about shimming or crowning the upper punch. This is a common issue on Roto-Die press brakes. Sometime the angle insert Roto Die offers helps, but shimming is the most cost effective alternative. The only issue with shimming is you can have premature tool wear, so you do not have a faulty piece of equipment!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'll try them first thing monday.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Professional Member

We used to shim ours. Also it needs to be pretty level. Its been 16 years since I used my old Roto so its hard to remember exactly how we got it to bend perfectlty but I remember the shims and placing them. Great machine! I used to make a LOT of metal on that thing very quickly!