The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Finishing Metal

Finishing Metal Open discussion on finishing sheet metal products. Feel free to share knowledge of a metal finishing products and or your own proven formulas.

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-07-2005, 05:15 AM
ME

Default Green Stuff..

Here is a problem…A copper hood behind a grill extends above the exhaust filters, above the filters the copper is being caked with grease and turning green (as most copper work will) the stuff is running down the back wall and looks pretty bad, the customers can see this! Once cleaned, how can this copper be sealed to stop the (greenery stuff from reappearing)

As always, thanks for your help.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:10 AM

Plastics my boy, plastics. Polyurethane! I prefer Dupont’s Imron which is a two part system but PPG has their own that if I remember is three parts, Sprayed never brushed.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Professional Member

Here's one for you Bud.
I'm told this by one of the engineers at the research facility I'm spending my summer at.
He says that by putting the hood in a chamber, and sputtering it with glass beads, it can be sealed. Apparently, it seals the copper, with a glass cover-- which I'm told will not break. After I got done laughing, he said it really does work.
Aside from that, I'd agree with Bob. Imron is a high power, polyurethane sealer that is used as body paint on big rigs, etc... It works-- for the big rigs.
However, 24 years ago (I worked delivering autobody paint back then) 1 gallon cost around 80.00, and that's just the paint. The catalyst cost another 20. Then prep, time, sprayer, etc... Not an inexpensive solution, but definitely good. I have no idea how costly it is today.
As for cleaning, try Pineola, by Howard Products. Must use a cheesecloth though, as anything else will scratch the copper.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:43 PM
ME

Thank you both for the tips and advise. My Wife Angie will try to gat a picture of this for us too see. I won't be doing the work, but will be attempting to help them with a solution to their problem...
Old 08-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Professional Member

Hey,
I talked with the engineer who told me about the glass sputtering, and he said that he'd get me the info on it-- ph #, co. name, location, etc...
There is one major drawback that I can see with this idea... well, ok, two.
1- it'd have to be removed, shipped to the facility that does the work, and then reinstalled-- all the typical stuff that goes along with that.
2- price. How much are they willing to spend to accomplish this task?
At first glance, while it would still need to be removed--- taking it to a local autobody spray booth, and getting it sprayed with Imron, would still be less time, and perhaps less hassle than the glass idea.
To do the glass sputtering, it needs to be known the dimensions, and whether or not the hood can be disassembled, and then reassembled once completed. The latter is based on the size of the chamber that the sputtering occurs in. If the hood is too large, it won't work.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Professional Member

One more addition.
I was looking for info on glass sputtering, mirroring, and "glass on metal" work. I actually found an enameling site, and they have a brief discussion on this very topic-- albeit on a much smaller scale.
Perhaps asking them might help.
http://www.enamelartist.com/gomforum/
It's actually called the "Glass on metal" forum.
It might be worth some questions.