The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Finishing Metal

Finishing Metal Open discussion on finishing sheet metal products. Feel free to share knowledge of a metal finishing products and or your own proven formulas.

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-07-2005, 04:04 AM
ME

Default Finishing Metal

We opened a new forum on metal finishing. Please share your experience and knowledge on how you finish the sheet metal projects you make.

Thanks for all you do to help others here in the shop!
Old 08-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Professional Member

Buffing wheels, Dico, or other buffing compounds, and plenty of patience.
Once this is done, once every six months, use Howard Products' Pineola Copper Polish.
They have other polishes too. It only takes 90 minutes to redo the device (40 sq ft of copper).
Avoid TarnX, and Brasso. It takes way too long, and is far too tedious to use.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:31 AM

Hi Bud,

I have recently been working with some of Birchwood Caseys products and wanted to share some things that I have learned using them.

I have been using the M-38 over the last few weeks, and it works great. They suggest diluting them down by 50% with distilled water and when I did, I found it to be very aggressive and uncontrolable. My second batch I added 65% water and found it to be more stable and much easier to use.

They offer a metal cleaner for their products, I ordered a small bottle to try it verses acetone. The acetone didn't do nearly as well as their cleaner. The parts that I used the cleaner on looked much richer than the others and were much better looking.

Preping the surface with scotch brite is important step, as the lines will show the grain once patina'd. I had to refinish my first hood because I didn't think about how the lines would effect the final patina. If you remember this step prior to doing the patina wash, it will save you a lot of extra hard work. Of coarse you also will have a better looking part as well.

The wax they offer is A+ but again you have to work fast, lots of elbow grease.