The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Trade Test and Certification > General Exam Discussion

General Exam Discussion Are you studying for an exam or certification? Bring your questions here.

Share This Forum!  

Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Default Branch 2 License

As of January 1, 2011 the sheet metal trade in Ontario has been bastardized in that it now has a branch 2 classification.
Branch 2 classification is titled 'Residential Installer'.
They are giving out these licenses to absolute clowns.
Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Oh yeah, the reason I posted this in the 'general exam discussion' area is because I'd like to know just what the 'residential installer' exam is all about.
Do you have to demonstrate shoe tying ability?
Or do you just have to know left from right?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 PM

Here's what it's all about.

http://www.apprenticesearch.com/Abou...etal-installer

Anyone who can put a piece of pipe together qualifies.
It's an insult to the trade.
No takers?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Professional Member

Rob, about 2 years ago I went to the local vo-tech/community college with my one son on an unsuccessful attempt to get him into something. Another story and off topic. But, what I remember is that one of the requirements to pass the advanced duct/layout course was that the student had to demonstrate the ability to cut a 10" diameter hole for a takeoff. I think my mouth was hanging open there for a while. What is really depressing is that here in the US there seems to be a kind of dumbing down going on---a 10" hole? really?--- while at the same time the level of local governmental involvement ($$$$) is increasing. And maybe I should stop right here...
The Following User Says Thank You to wmckane For This Useful Post:
Rob (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 07:11 PM

Thanks Bill.
I'm glad I'm not just talking to myself.
In recent years in Ontario there has been a shortage of people joining the trades.
The McGuinty clan (government) has decided to increase the amount of licensed tradespeople by lowering the bar on the skills required.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Professional Member

Default wow!

I heard one of my old journeyman tell a foreman off one day..

the foreman(unticketed knowitall type) was telling the 62 year old journeyman that he should have put larger machine screws in a cooler door..The JM just looked @ him told him to f.off and asked him what was stronger more threads per inch or a larger hole diameter..
then he proceeded to tell the foreman that there is reasons that trades are regulated..
and that is to protect the public..From people like him(the foreman)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to device For This Useful Post:
Bud (04-10-2012), cactassdupree (06-09-2013), Rob (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by device View Post
there is reasons that trades are regulated..
Exactly my point.
Although there is an apprenticeship to be served under the new branch 2, to get the ball rolling, in the first year, anyone who can prove a certain amount of hours in the trade can write the test and away you go.
Every handyman in the province is running to the Ministry to get their ticket.
The sheet metal trade in this province has traditionally had a bad reputation.
Some of us have worked hard to change this.
Oh well, when you work your fingers to the bone, you end up with boney fingers.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Professional Member

I just have to chime in with my 2 cents. First let me say that I feel for and agree with your point of view. Here in the USA there has been a large movement to organize, everyone and anyone, safety and POWER in numbers is what our leaders assure us. What I have seen is that they can let anyone they want in the trades, if the economy is good and contractors are busy the weak can hide for a while. As soon as the economy slows down the weak are found pretty easily and weed themselves out of the trade. The people with the skills and ambition to seek to better themselves with extra skills and knowledge are the ones that will keep working and stay in the trades. If our area organized 200 trades people in the last 10 years, 150 have dropped (forfeited membership) in the last 4 years. I think it is a waste of time and resources but there are people smarter than me that know better. Let me finish by stating that the contractors are their own worse enemies. All they whine and cry about is needing cheap labor. Let the whining begin when all the skilled labor retires and they don't have anyone that actually has any skills or knowledge.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tnbndr For This Useful Post:
Bud (04-10-2012), device (04-11-2012), Rob (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbndr View Post
As soon as the economy slows down the weak are found pretty easily and weed themselves out of the trade. Let me finish by stating that the contractors are their own worse enemies. All they whine and cry about is needing cheap labor.
While both these statements are very true, in the residential sector (80% of my business) most people don't know or don't care about quality of workmanship.
It's always been this way in my experience, it just seems that it's getting worse in recent years.
Everyone is more concerned about the quality of their kitchen cabinets and finishing than their mechanical installations which, if installed properly, will actually save them money.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Professional Member

I haven't done any serious residential work in quite a while. The economy has certainly been a factor; people just don't like to spend on non-visible things, even with load calculations to show potential savings. As you say, the cabinets come first. I think another factor is "This Old House" and similar programs. Maybe it's just me, but their projects come across as oversimplified and unrealistic in terms of real-life time, effort, dirt, disruption, and expense. Most homeowners don't understand the complexities of a job--certainly not their fault--but it's very hard to try to sell real-life stuff when they just watched Richard Trethaway fix something in two minutes, and when they can buy duct at Home Depot, etc.
I mean, duct is duct, right? I find myself becoming more and more like my old boss....give me commercial and ideally give me something in the service level. Then it's just the job and me. I think this makes me an old guy and that is fine with me.