The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Software

Sheet Metal Software Software discussion for the sheet metal industry.

Share This Forum!  

Old 04-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Default Software to make simple line drawings?

I work with a commercial roofing company, doing all the sheet metal parapet flashings etc. For each project I draw out the line drawing for the flashing and label it with all the necessary dimensions. These pages have built up over the years and I am planning on scanning old pages and keeping them all as pdf files with job names. For, from time to time, we have to go back through to find a particular job to verify dimensions or what not and it is a real pain sifting through thousands of pages when could just use Adobe to search through them as pdf's.

I am hoping to be able to find some sort of pc program that would allow me to make these simple line drawings of the various pieces of flashing (there is really only half a dozen or so different types, just the sizes changes). Essentially, creating digitally, the pages I now make to old fashioned way. That way, all the new projects would be saved on the computer as you go along...easier to search and find old projects etc.

So, basically software that you can create a line drawing of the profile of the piece and also be able to enter some text around that drawing. (dimensions or notes etc)
Old 04-21-2011, 04:59 AM
Professional Member

There are a bunch of softwares to do this, some are even free or at least free trial versions. Search this forum or look at some of the old posts that have suggestions. I can think of AutoCad, TurboCad, etc. You can even do simple line drawings in Adobe Pro and with Adobe Pro you can compile all your single pdf files into one large file that you can search or have a index page, click on the pdf you want and it takes you to that page.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Blade View Post
I work with a commercial roofing company, doing all the sheet metal parapet flashings etc. For each project I draw out the line drawing for the flashing and label it with all the necessary dimensions. These pages have built up over the years and I am planning on scanning old pages and keeping them all as pdf files with job names. For, from time to time, we have to go back through to find a particular job to verify dimensions or what not and it is a real pain sifting through thousands of pages when could just use Adobe to search through them as pdf's.

I am hoping to be able to find some sort of pc program that would allow me to make these simple line drawings of the various pieces of flashing (there is really only half a dozen or so different types, just the sizes changes). Essentially, creating digitally, the pages I now make to old fashioned way. That way, all the new projects would be saved on the computer as you go along...easier to search and find old projects etc.

So, basically software that you can create a line drawing of the profile of the piece and also be able to enter some text around that drawing. (dimensions or notes etc)

try Draft Sight from Dassault Systems, it FREE