The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Trade Test and Certification > Canadian Red Seal Exam

Canadian Red Seal Exam Talk about the test here.

Share This Forum!  

Old 02-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Professional Member

Cool Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
OK, you're right, the question is poorly worded.
However, I think that a person who is writing his journeyman's exam, after a 5 year apprenticeship and 3 rounds of college, would get the drift.
i call a truce. dupree
Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 PM

Default Challenging the Red Seal Exam.

Greetings everyone. I'm new to the site, and I am looking for input on challenging the Red Seal Exam. I have found lots of useful information in this forum, but not much that makes me feel that confident about it. Any insight?
Old 02-08-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike39 View Post
Greetings everyone. I'm new to the site, and I am looking for input on challenging the Red Seal Exam. I have found lots of useful information in this forum, but not much that makes me feel that confident about it. Any insight?
Welcome to the site mike39.
Why do you not feel confident about challenging the exam?
Do you have any formal training?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Smile

Hi Dad, thanx for your reply. No, I have never received any formal training. I did spend about the first two years with a journeyman, but since then I have been a sub-contractor, primarily in new housing. I have almost 13 yrs experience, and close to 2500 installs, but I have always felt I was an installer, not a tinbasher. Now I find myself in a position where I am going to need to be able to pull permits and buy furnaces, and no one seems to want a 40 yr old apprentice with that much experience(nor do first year wages interest me much).

I know that there is a bunch of stuff I am missing in my training. I've never worked the bench really, so I will soon be trying to teach myself layout and pattern development. I haven't designed many systems, so right now I am teaching myself heat loss calculations and such.

I guess those are the two biggest things preventing me from attempting this at this time; the math and the layout. In hindsight, I probably should have tried to get indentured 13 yrs ago, but........
Also, the amount of formally trained people in this forum that failed on the first attempt is a little dis-concerting.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:39 PM

Question

Does anyone know if the 17 books offered for 4.99 are any good? The publication dates seem pretty old to be relevant, but I'll take any knowledge I can get.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:57 PM

Question

OK, another question. I can't seem to find a U value for residential walls. Is the U value of a 2x6 exterior wall(wood, insulation, poly) determined by the insulation?(In other words, is it an R value instead of a U value)
Old 02-08-2011, 06:02 PM
ME

(nearly)5000 pages for 5 bucks?

Don't worry about the download, You can read most of them for free...

http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/mod...y-pid-128.html
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Bud, I like free. I was just wondering how relevant a book written at the turn of last century was to what we do today, but I will definitely be refering to them as I attempt to fill in the holes in my training.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Hi Dad, thanx for your reply. No, I have never received any formal training. I did spend about the first two years with a journeyman, but since then I have been a sub-contractor, primarily in new housing. I have almost 13 yrs experience, and close to 2500 installs, but I have always felt I was an installer, not a tinbasher. Now I find myself in a position where I am going to need to be able to pull permits and buy furnaces, and no one seems to want a 40 yr old apprentice with that much experience(nor do first year wages interest me much).

I know that there is a bunch of stuff I am missing in my training. I've never worked the bench really, so I will soon be trying to teach myself layout and pattern development. I haven't designed many systems, so right now I am teaching myself heat loss calculations and such.

I guess those are the two biggest things preventing me from attempting this at this time; the math and the layout. In hindsight, I probably should have tried to get indentured 13 yrs ago, but........
Also, the amount of formally trained people in this forum that failed on the first attempt is a little dis-concerting.
If all you've done is hang ductwork, it's going to be tough.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the 17 books offered for 4.99 are any good? The publication dates seem pretty old to be relevant, but I'll take any knowledge I can get.
The best 5 bucks you'll ever spend.

Quote:
OK, another question. I can't seem to find a U value for residential walls. Is the U value of a 2x6 exterior wall(wood, insulation, poly) determined by the insulation?(In other words, is it an R value instead of a U value)
R value is the resistance capacity of the envelope. (outside to in).
U value is the flow rate through the envelope. (inside to out).
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:
mike39 (02-08-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I have almost 13 yrs experience, and close to 2500 installs, but I have always felt I was an installer, not a tinbasher.
Piecework?
I've been down that road.
Are you in Ontario?

Tags
canadian red seal, exam