The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Shaping

Sheet Metal Shaping Got a passion for shaping sheet metal? Open discussion on metal shaping here. Talk about tools, tips and techniques. (Please read rules before posting)

Share This Forum!  

Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 PM

Default Help with bending spirals please.

Hello everybody, here goes my first post...

I am looking for someone in UK (I'm in Oxfordshire) that can bend me spirals out of approx 20mm x 3mm mild steel and aluminium bar. Large diameter approx 1m, smallest diameter about 0.5m with about 2.5 turns (a bit like the attachment).

I appreciate that this is probably not the place to post this request, but I'm struggling, so any pointers in the right direction are very welcome.

Many thanks

mikejkw
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spiral example.pdf (19.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-19-2014, 06:19 PM

While I am not on your side of the pond, I can throw my thoughts in. I would start by laying your spiral out on paper 1:1 scale. Then after it is laid out you will have some lengths to work with. Mark your lengths on your stock for 1. total length, and 2. each length of the spiral between your vertical and horizontal lines. Then run the whole piece through a set of rolls, until you have the radius correct for the outermost section of the spiral, then tighten the rolls slightly and continue for the next section. Continue until you are finished. Hope this helps!!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:53 PM

Default Hey,that was quick.

I love using time zones :-) (it's nearly 2.00am here).

I've done it the way you describe for a small version so I'll have another go and be a bit bolder.

The geometry of a roll bender makes the tightening of the rollers quite difficult to maintain an even reduction in diameter. At the start, moderate turning is needed to reduce the diameter. At the end, very little extra turning brings the spiral in tight very quickly. It would be great to have a method that's more even (linear), but that hurts my brain!

Thanks very much for your kind help :-)

mikejkw
Old 05-30-2016, 08:21 AM

If you made or had made a former the size you need in 40 x 6 flat bar welded to a plate ( bit like a scrolling iron only bigger ) you can bend 20 x 3 by hand meaning that all the spirals you make will be the same .

Cheers