The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Products

Sheet Metal Products
Discuss sheet metal products here. What products makes your job easier. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 PM

Default Looking for that perfect tool belt

Hi guys - Shane here from Southern California. I'm looking for some opinions on the best tool belts one can buy. I'm willing to buy online if I have to, because the selection at most of the weekend warrior stores are pathetic.

I work in the field, and you know what that means - climbing scaffolding and crawling through cramped spaces, lugging sticks of metal up stairs and across muddy sites. I'm looking for bags that hang tough and can take a beating - naturally that means good leather and a comfortable pair of suspenders to carry them.

I know every man's set up is unique, and I'm no different - my Malco big snip rides in back with my magnetic hammer, reds and greens on my right with my tongs, scribe, nail tool and chisel and other assorted cheats. On my left I carry my ammo, measuring tape, square and blades. I've recently grown comfortable wearing a surveyor's safety vest with a bunch of pockets that let me carry my phone up high and my notebook, pens, etc in my breast pockets. It's got me looking at those new 'tool vests' I see on some sites, but I can't see crawling around five stories up with my tools dangling, but I like the idea.

So anyone willing to take a moment to tell me about their set up and what works for them - as well as where they believe one can find the finest tool belts with the largest selection so one can "build" a belt, I'd really appreciate it.

And, by the way - hats off to all the metal dogs out there! So few know what artists we are, and fewer still ever get to see it!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:36 PM

I assume you could get the belt from fire prevention dept. or the shop where sells such kinds of apparatus
Old 06-15-2009, 10:46 PM

Take a look at skillers.com
They don't sell tool belts, but do have a full system. (Workware clothing)
I'm getting by just using their pants with the flip out pouches. (They tuck into the front pockets when not being used)
If you try a pair of these pants, I bet you won't buy Carhart's anymore.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:36 PM

if you can afford them occidental leather tool bags are pretty good. hammer carrier lots of pockets , if treated well will last a long time. And in my opinion some pretty darn good suspenders.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:03 PM

I borrowed my buddy's pouch the other day and was surprised ot how bad it sucked. essentially the opening fell closed and so the tools did not go in and out easily. I think yoiu should look for that. He told me he bought a cheap one so there you go..
As for my techniques, I do all things related to home repair and all of my non-power/air hand tools fit in one dufflebag, levels excluded. Then my tool pouch is on my left, hammer loop on my right. And I keep my utility knife in my right back pocket. I take what I need in my belt, leave the rest with my bag. Since I work on homes I'm never to far from the bag and so can afford to travel light on the belt.
I would avoid going heavy on one side throughout a career as your body will grow lopsided to accommodate for the weight.