The New Home for the Sheet Metal Industry Forums
SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > Sheet Metal Forums > Kinks

Kinks Share your tips and techniques here. The old timers used to refer this as KINKs. Thanks for sharing.

Share This Forum!  

Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Professional Member

I appreciate the insight, Dad.

tinsmith -

Reminds me of my old Sears Craftsman carpenters belt. I like the tape in the front, even if it meant turning the whole belt around after clipping it on. Its hard to get used to my tape in a pocket of a pouch.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:38 PM

I really like my Bon Tool tool belt. It has an interior pouch, 3 smaller pouches and 4 narrow leather pockets. I bought it for less than 20$.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Professional Member

Had an old leather two-pocket one that felt good but the hammer loop finally gave out. Tried an Airlift rig from Duluth Trading on one job and heard a lot of parachute comments. It tended to collect too many tools and cause some back strain and is now at the bottom of the gang box. Am trying a Craftsman carpenter rig now; it's light but really needs suspenders. Since most of my work these days is above drop ceilings I often don't wear a belt at all--just bring up what I need.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Professional Member

Default tool belts

I like to carry a tray if i need more tools then i can carry in a canvass apron and snips go in my back pockets. I have a hammer hanger, either made of copper wire or now days pvc pipe that slips on the apron string. It's cool to impress other craftmen with a self made tray. I get alot of requests to build trays for others but really don't have the time. If you had a good pattern and built quanities you could probaly made a $ or 2.

You never slow down You'll never grow old
Old 04-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Professional Member

I think my pouch is an electricians pouch, Craftsman seperate from my belt. It has three pockets so there is room for various sized fasteners, then I have two square pouches one one my right and one left behind me for my snips, in between I have a double knife pouch, Straight and T-Blade, my tape hangs on my right side from my hammer holder, 20 Oz. Craftsman straight claw framer and my tinning hammer is on the left in the pouches loop. I use the little tube spots on the pouch for pencils, line level and bits. This is hard to explain....I also got in the habit when running metal of carrying a one gallon paint can for all the bits of metal you end up with and rivet pins. It was hard to get a good system because when I was going to the roof on a regular basis I needed a pouch that would accomodat roofing should I have to roof or metal work. This pouch works well since the deep pockets will hold deck screws up to around 6-8 inches and plates. I did add a hanger for my cordless but was never very comfortable with it. My benders never really found a home....

Any thoughts about wear a full pouch while in a full body harness?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:22 AM

I wear suspenders on my tool belt. Im on my second Craftsman leather tool belt as the first got stolen. I turn it around so the tape holder is in the back, but I never put it there. I carry a hammer, reds, greens, straight slotted screwdriver, straight seamers, big scratch awl, sheet metal screws in one side and panning nails in the other. My drill stays in the top of my 4' ladder.

Andy
Old 04-26-2009, 04:44 AM
Professional Member

The pouch problem with a body harness is a real problem. Using the tool belt with the full body harness will cause a lot of stress on your britches and likely in short order split the crouch of your pants.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:42 PM

I use a single tool pouch and it holds everything I need to hang duct work.. one thing I found is buy a decent leather pouch dont mess around with the lame canvas ones. I linked the pouch I use... I keep a right offset, hand break, screwdriver, torpedo level in the main compartment there is also spare room for my lefts if I need to carry them and a square, the lower pouch is just for zap screws... I keep a drill extension, some other sized drill tips in the pencil holders, the top pouch is for my markers and pencils, and misc drill bits, the middle pouch kinda just holds what ever I need for the job, tdc clip tool, ratchet and a open ended usually if I am doing alot of tdc duct.. I also have a hammer holder and a tape holder separate on my belt as well. Also if I am doing alot of tdc duct I wear a carhart nail apron with nuts and bolts, and clips in it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ord=tool+pouch
Old 12-18-2009, 10:59 PM

i have been a sheet metal worker for 15 years and for the first 4 or 5 years i would use like a roofers or a carpenters pouch, but one day i was sick of filling the pouch up with tools so i got one of those bucket boss aprons (sorta like a nail pouch you would get free from the lumber yard but better designed and durable) and this hammer holster that i found in home depot. it was all metal. instead of being riveted to a leather belt strap the holster round stock just continued around and formed its own belt clip. anyway i welded a big washer on to the hammer holster to hold my big ol trusty flathead screwdriver (for poking and prying of course), had that set up on my right side cliped on my pants belt, rubber ruler (25' tape) center pouch, and utility knife, marker, and pencil in the little pockets on the side of the pouch, folding ruler and drift pin in my left back pants pocket, and i still had like 3 pockets for screws/torp/hardware/box wrenches . my tool box with hand tools i would leave on a bench on the floor (set of horses with a sheet of plywood or closed gang box, something like that was on most every job)... although i did have a drill holster that i would belt around the ladder within reach... after hanging a sh!tload of duct everyday and getting faster , neater , better i would dust other mechs weighed down with hand seamers , reds, greens, bulldogs,etc ( present company excluded of course )....

Old 12-20-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibintinknockin
i have been a sheet metal worker for 15 years and for the first 4 or 5 years i would use like a roofers or a carpenters pouch, but one day i was sick of filling the pouch up with tools so i got one of those bucket boss aprons (sorta like a nail pouch you would get free from the lumber yard but better designed and durable) and this hammer holster that i found in home depot. it was all metal. instead of being riveted to a leather belt strap the holster round stock just continued around and formed its own belt clip. anyway i welded a big washer on to the hammer holster to hold my big ol trusty flathead screwdriver (for poking and prying of course), had that set up on my right side cliped on my pants belt, rubber ruler (25' tape) center pouch, and utility knife, marker, and pencil in the little pockets on the side of the pouch, folding ruler and drift pin in my left back pants pocket, and i still had like 3 pockets for screws/torp/hardware/box wrenches . my tool box with hand tools i would leave on a bench on the floor (set of horses with a sheet of plywood or closed gang box, something like that was on most every job)... although i did have a drill holster that i would belt around the ladder within reach... after hanging a sh!tload of duct everyday and getting faster , neater , better i would dust other mechs weighed down with hand seamers , reds, greens, bulldogs,etc ( present company excluded of course )....

oh yeah... i would also like to add that for attic or crawl space situations, lose the belt and get yourself a light colored busboy pan to put all the needed tools and material in